DIY platform sub - 122dB @ 23Hz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Milne, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Edit: Sorry the link didn't work
    I needed a riser for the second row couch so I decided to create a sub. It's about 10 cu ft tuned to 23Hz using a JBL 2245H 18" driver. With 6dB of boost it's ruler-flat to 23Hz . BassBox models it at 121dB with 300 watts (actually it's excursion limited at the very bottom).
    This sub is used only for LFE. I have a smaller front sub with a similar alignment using the 15" version of this driver (2235H).
    The box is 1" MDF with plenty of bracing. I used solid walnut trim because I couldn't figure out any other way to protect all edges. Besides it gives a nice look. I'm guessing it's about 250 lb.
    Riser Sub

2. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Holy S*%T !!!! Do you put a couch over that? If so, you sure don't need any bass shakers! No grill or protection?
    Either way, nice riser [​IMG]

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Holy crap! Bet that gives your tushy a nice massage! [​IMG]
    BTW, do cover it up with the couch? I'd be afraid it would get damaged easily.
    Very professional look to the riser also! [​IMG]

4. Dave Milne

Yes, it's got a couch over it. And the couch feet are short enough that little hands and/or small objects are not likely to get in and cause damage. I probably should think about a grille, nonetheless...

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

thats really thin, is the magnet sitting on the floor, if not whats the gap

6. Dave Milne

Allen,
    The riser is about 9" total height. I arrived at this value through some measurement using the actual chairs and a couple of willing test subjects (myself and wife [​IMG]) As I recall, this fortunately leaves about an inch gap between the magnet and the floor of the box. The driver has a vent at the back of the magnet and I wanted to make sure there was some clearance.

7. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

What an awesome idea!!! I can't believe I've never seen it before! And yours looks great, nice work.
    Now I'm dreaming about a dual tempest riser... [​IMG]

8. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

how big is that total dinentons and how much mdfb did you use i have my seccond row on a 6 inch platform this is a good idea i have to pull the rear couch away from the wall

9. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

Very cool design Dave! Back when I was in college, I worked at an audio shop. I had a friend that built a couch riser with a pair of twelves. It rocked even back in the Pro-Logic days! I also saw another long thin box with four 10s that was designed to sit behind a couch. It didn't sound very accurate, but it sure made watching Days of Thunder a lot of fun! If you want to see the couch riser taken to the extreme, check this out:
    http://www.royaldevice.com
    I am sure some of you remember this one!