What's new

DIY newb...well, speaker newb too! (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I'm a complete newcomer to HT, speakers, etc. I love my audio/video, TV, movies, video games...and am finally starting to desire better sound than the TV speakers. The picture is also something I want to upgrade, but I'll wait on that (and as far as I know, it's pretty tough to build your own TV from scratch :D ).

So initially I just wanted to get a HTiB, but then decided I'd like higher quality than an Onkyo HTiB. I want to have good components that will last a long time. Plus, I farm and attend college, so after this week, I'll have a month of nothing to do. I work with my dad, who is quite good with woodworking/electrical type things (me, well, I'm learning :b ), so I'll have him at my disposal, along with all the tools I can imagine I'd need.

As for a budget right now, I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible. Whatever that means I'll have to exclude, I don't know. I guess I'd obviously need a receiver and a pair of fronts (my terminology is also lacking, so let me know if you don't understand what I'm saying :b ), and other than that, I don't know.

I'd like something that will give me good directions...I don't mind buying each individual part myself, but would like a guide online or something that will tell me exactly what to buy, and something to tell me exactly how to go about putting it together. I don't mind buying the wood and stuff for the cabinet, that much I think I can figure out (with guidance, of course;) ).

So I guess I'll quit yapping, and let you smart folks tell me I'm nuts, followed by advice. :D Thanks a lot for any help/guidance you can give me.

Tim

KurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
What equipment do you have now?

I started with a 32" tv with s-vid input (8 yrsold now), Polk sub/sat (their first), and a pioneer sx-780 stereo receiver (had since 1981). Then went with pioneer dvd 414 (one of first with component out for less than $250).

then went with pioneer HT receiver and Polk 5.1 Sub/sat.

Then moved up to panasonic 42" lcd rear projection.

Then went with Polk csi 30 center, fxi 30 surrounds, and rti 38 mains.

What are your goals (short/long term)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.