DIY MTM or MT Bookhelf for around $100/pair?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm wondering if there's a proven design for a ported MTM or TM bookshelf that would out-perform my JBL N28s that i could buld for around $100/pair in driver and crossover parts? If so, could someone point the way to the plans? Also, if there is an MTM alignment that will fit in my budget, is there a TM alignment similar to it for use as surrounds?
    My listening is 99% HT w/ VERY little critical music listening. The speakers will be matched w/ my EBS Shiva sub, so I only really need usable bass below 80hz or so (but lower capability would be nice too). I would prefer a larger bookshelf/monitor style and like the thin MTM arrangements, but I understand that TM would probably be simpler to build (both cabinets and crossovers).
    I have experience building subwoofer cabinets and with non-audio related circuitry and soldering. I'm not looking to design the baffles or crossovers myself, I'm just looking for a good design that I can build for around $100 a pair in parts (not including enclosures).
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. I am struggling to think of any note worth kits for $100 or less a pair including drivers and XO parts. No chance of raising the budget?
    http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.5DK
    is about the ONLY think I can think of, but I have never listened to them

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,
    I'm ashamed of you! [​IMG] How could you forget the SCH K05B50 kits for $85/pr.? Hank would be most insulted!
    Stephen, these are very hard to beat for the money.
    http://www.speakerpage.com/K05B50.htm

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

How would those stack up against my JBL N28s? Also, I'm interested in something a little larger, and the frequency response dies off before my receiver's 80hz crossover.

Thanks

5. Camm

Camm Extra

I have built adire's bang with very good results, they also have the pop which is in your price range
    here is the link

6. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I've had a few suggestions on kits, but still no word on how they would compare to my current JBL N28 mains, N Center, and N24 surrounds. If someone could give some insight about if the DIY offerings in this price range would be an upgrade from my current setup, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

7. Brian, the reason I didn't post it (I didn't forget ABOUT them) was because I forgot the NAME of them [​IMG]

8. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

9. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,

My finished K05B50s are better in every respect than my Axiom M3tis, save in the lower to mid bass. I bought them as a Christmas gift for my father, but after hearing how much better they were than the Axioms, I made a deal: he could keep the better looking M3tis if he gave me the K05B50s and the money for a Stryke AV12 driver. He agreed, and I'm now just waiting for my AV12 to arrive.

I don't how the M3ti compares to the N28, but I'm guessing you'll prefer the K05B50s, if you choose to go that way. Just a guess.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Stephen,

I'd think the Axioms are easily better than the JBL's and therefore, the SCH kits would be better than the JBL's as well. I've never been fond of any of the JBL speakers. Not even the S38's. They're decent, but if you can DIY you can get much better speakers for the money.

11. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Well I'm guessing the M3tis are a far superior speaker to my N28s, so by logic the K05B50s must again be far superior to my N28s.
    Does anyone have any idea how the Pops!, Bangs!, and Grand Pops! compare to the K05B50s? If they compare favorably, I would be very interested in building 2 Grand Pops! for mains and Pops! for the center, surrounds, and back surrounds. I might also consider a 3rd Grand Pop! for the center instead of a regular Pop! so my front and back sound stages would both be completely matched respectively.
    Since my sub is an EBS Shiva, maybe i could get sponsored by Adire to do a full Adire setup! *LOL* j/k, I wish!
    Thanks for the help, and keep it coming [​IMG]

12. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Just curious as to what it is about the JBL N28's that you are either unhappy with or trying to improve upon.

13. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I really like my N28s. The reason I'm contemplating a DIY project is because my Shiva turned out great and I think I can take a noticeable step up in sound quality for not alot more than what I could get out of my N28s, N Center, and 4 N24s. I also really enjoyed building my Shiva, so I think the project would be alot of fun.

I guess I'm just looking for a better speaker in general, no because I'm not satisfied with my N28s, but because I know that there's much better out there, and I'm always looking for ways to move up in quality, especially for a minimal monetary investment. From my experience with my Shiva, I don't think I could have BOUGHT a better sub for less than $600 - $700, and I'm hoping the same value and performance are there for the speakers I'm looking at.

14. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

15. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

I can certainly appriciate the desire for better...but do you think the 100 bucks is reasonable for 2 speakers...that needs to get you 4 drivers,2 crossovers, 2 boxes and 2 terminal cups. Add shipping ,handling and tax....

16. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Well according to people who know more about the subject than I do it is. My budget is a little flexible, but not alot. Also, my $100 per speaker budget was only for the electronics (drivers, XOs, and Terminals). I have alot of mdf around the house from other projects and plenty or wiring, so I won't need to buy that stuff.

The Grand Pop!s look like exactly what I want in mains and possibly a center and the Pop!s look like what I'd like for surrounds. If someone could chime in on their sound quality, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, will changing the baffle layout and/or port location change the sound of the speakers as long as I keep the internal volume and port diameter/length the same? I was hoping I could move the port either to the back or under/beside the tweeter, widen the baffle a bit and decrease the depth some. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as the internal volume is the same, the position of drivers/ports and the height/width/depth won't really matter?

Thanks

17. Ted_Polzin

Ted_Polzin Stunt Coordinator

Smirk. That is what I though when I first started designing my own towers. I got some drivers for Christmas to build my first set of speakers. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=115830 is the thread that since commenced. Greg has been a tremendous resource since then. It turns out the baffle and driver positions is one of the most important specs in the design of a tower. Internal volume is not as important. Have a read and see what Greg has to say it should be informative. My main advantage is I do not have to worry about passive crossovers since I built my own electronic crossover and will be bi-amping with it.
    Ted

18. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

No need to smirk.

19. Ted_Polzin

Ted_Polzin Stunt Coordinator

Sorry [​IMG]

20. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Brian, atta boy for going after Tony. He's young and should have a good memory [​IMG]
    Stephen: I'd recommend SCH kits to anyone looking for good sound and best value. I've built several pair of SCH monitors and a pair of their towers and the are really nice. They are designed by the engineers at SCH, who's real job is designing speakers for name speaker companies.
    You won't be disappointed.