What's new

DIY Movie Poster Boxes with no cords (1 Viewer)

BobMaslen

Grip
Hi,

I would like to put in some DIY movie poster boxes but I have no electical receptacle near the poster box, but I would like to light up the poster boxes.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could use to light them up that would use batteries or something else.

I really like the style of boxes that MikeWh made up. Very nice.

I would really like to back light the boxes.

I am not sure if there is anything I could use to back light the poster box that does not require AC power.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
Bob

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Could you use those touchlights I always see at Walmart. It is a dome looking light. I am not sure if it would be bright enough or not.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Batteries... hmmm I would look into some super-brite LEDs

Im no electronics wizard but I understand that they use very little power and may extend the life of the battery.

Maybe use some sort of recharcheable battery that you could plug in when your not using the theater and re-charge the batteries.

here are some links I found

pre-made LED lights
more pre-maid LEDs
LED info site
Google Search

If you get something working I would love to see it :D

MikeWh

Second Unit
Bob,

As I mentioned in my email, I'm starting to convert my boxes to a backlit version. If you decide to go that way, then DC lighting is pretty easy to DIY with parts from RatShack. I'm thinking an array of simple DC lamps, lantern battery, and a switch mounted to the box/case. Chris' LED idea is great, as far as power consumption.... although not sure how it would compare (price-wise) to small incandescent (flashlight) bulbs.

If you're not up to all that soldering, take a look at pre-fab DC fluorescent fixtures. They can be kind of expensive, but they produce a lot of light. You'd need a couple per box, in order to diffuse the light... on the flip-side, they may be too bright, causing hot-spotting.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look through their lighting area to see if they have these DC fixtures. Also, I have a flashlight that has a VERY SMALL fluorescent tube on it (like...

BobMaslen

Grip
As I mentioned in my email, I'm starting to convert my boxes to a backlit version. If you decide to go that way, then DC lighting is pretty easy to DIY with parts from RatShack. I'm thinking an array of simple DC lamps, lantern battery, and a switch mounted to the box/case.
MikeWh,

Can you give me examples of the items I would need to purchase in order to accomplish what you suggested above?

Thanks
Bob

MikeWh

Second Unit
Sorry, Bob. Been on vacation for a couple days. I took a quick look at the necessary parts on Radio Shack's web site. I think there may be a problem with adequate power supply for the number of penlight bulbs needed, in addition to costing $30-50+ in parts! Let me talk it over with my father-in-law, who knows pretty much everything about electronics/circuits. I'll have to get back with you later.

In the meantime-- is there no way to get even an extension cord to an outlet? Seems like AC would be some much easier!

BobMaslen

Grip
MikeWh,

I appreciate your response and that you are looking into it for me.

I could run extension cords but I just think it will take away from the room by having an extension cord run down the wall and along the floor to an outlet.

Thanks again
Bob

MikeWh

Second Unit
I could run extension cords but I just think it will take away from the room by having an extension cord run down the wall and along the floor to an outlet.
I totally understand. That's one of the nice things about designing a room from scratch-- I was able to locate the needed outlets behind the poster boxes. If I ever sell the house, there will be three strange outlets running midway down my stairwell walls. :D

I was wondering if you've considered those flat wire channels (aka wiremold) that you adhere to the wall? They're a lot better than a regular wire hanging there, and they can be painted to be (mostly) unobtrusive. My guess is that most people who buy back-lit boxes are stuck with a wire running to an outlet, unless they preplan.

Alternatively, if any of your wall cavities are accessible (like from below in a crawl space or above in an attic), you could tap into an existing outlet and run a line over to a new outlet, located in just the right spot, behind the poster box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks