Diy Mdf?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan_M, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Nathan_M

Nathan_M Extra

With all the dust I have generated from building my new sub (thank you Jack Gilvey and Hank Frankenberg for all your advice), I was thinking about making some DIY MDF. I was wondering if any of you have ever done this and could offer some advice. I am thinking I can take some wood glue and stir in the dust and then pour it in a mold lined with wax paper. Does anyone have the correct ratio of sawdust to glue for this procedure? Also, I have been thinking to really be a true DIYer, I should really make my own glue. In that vein I have cut off the hooves of a few horses (the second hoof is always the toughest. The first one you can get pretty cleanly because the horse doesn't know you're coming, and by the time you have the second, he can't limp away, but to get that second hoof you really have to drive a long time behind him to get him to tire out). How exactly should I prepare the hooves to get the glue out? I am new to this DIY stuff so I would appreciate any and all advice you can offer.

2. Well..while you are at it, you might not want to waste the rest of the horse!...I'd shave it try and use the horse's body hair as a "binding fiber" in the MDF....and save the mane and tail hair for cabinet stuffing. I hear it is waaaaay better than wool=).

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    [​IMG]That's the funniest thing I've ever heard since I've been at this forum.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yeah, if you think that long fiber wool is expensive, wait 'til you see the price of Arabian horse hair cabinet stuffing at your local Hi-Fi botique salon! I was in shock for a week, BUT, I'm sure I detect mor "air" and "bloom" in female vocals 11.02 feet in front of my mains!

This thread should serve as a warning to newbies that inhaling MDF dust causes brain damage...

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Brian, make sure the next time you buy MDF, you look for the "Clydesdale" label!

8. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor