DIY Masking System

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andres Munoz, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I have a manual pulldown da-lite screen. I'm looking for ideas to build a motorized masking system. I would get up to pull down the screen, insert the DVD into the player and then sit down and control the masking system from my remote.

I've seen a couple of designs but they involve fixed screens and mine is not. Also, the more basic the design the better due to the fact that I'm not too handy.

I remember when it was as simple as sticking a couple of boards to my 32" TV with velcro to mask the black bars. Now with a projector, it is not as simple.

Any ideas will be deeply appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

That's exactly what I do with my pull down screen. Felt is applied to the bottom bar. Screen is pulled down to where bottom bar is at bottom of picture. Foam board covered with felt is attached to top of screen w/Velcro. (I have 3 sizes 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1 )(works PERFECT for these aspect ratio's and VERY GOOD for most others).

Not as elegant as motorized, but a LOT cheaper and less complicated. In the dark you can't tell the difference!

3. sam_canavo

sam_canavo Stunt Coordinator

Hey I have almost the exact same layout, screen in front of
    tv.

I currently have a 60x60 but am looking at 60x80 just wondered how easy it was for the masking. The da-lite will
    come with some masking borders but probably not wide enough.

Any suggestion?

4. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

Masking took me a couple of hours to build. It takes less than 2 minutes to set up.

5. Andres Munoz

Can you explain in more detail Jawhn? I also have a setup like yours where the screen pulls down in front of the TV.

So do you apply one end of the velcro to the screen permanently? Does that cause a problem when rolling the screen back in its case?

6. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

The Velcro is attached (I used hot glue) to the bottom of the case, right next to the slot and to the top edge of the mask (it hangs freely) . Make sure to use the soft side of the Velcro on the screen or it will grab the felt on the bottom bar when rolled up.

I too was concerned about roll-up if I attached the Velcro to the screen. You could also probably attach it with hooks and tabs with grommets.

7. Andres Munoz

Thanks Jawhn. So do you have different board sizes for the different aspect ratios?

Has anyone else done a simple motorized version?

8. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

Gentleman,

In regards to screens if I could ask: does screen material matter that much? Would a routine Da-Lite Da-Mat finish be reasonable for most applications?

I am considering a permanent fixed wall mount (16:9 about 100¨ diag) and the Da-Lite choices cause my vision to go blurry:
    Da-Mat, High Contrast Da-Mat, Pearlescent, Cinema Vision, High Contrast Cinema Vision, High Contrast Cinema Perf, Audio Vision, High Contrast Audio Vision, Da-Tex, Dual Vision and High Power viewing surfaces.

Any recommendations on screen and frame finish. I am looking at a good projector, e.g. InFocus Screenplay 7205, thus light output should be reasonable. Ambient light is controllable so I assume basic Da-Mat finish should be just fine.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    -jb

9. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

This is an excellent idea, why didn't I think of it before? Oh yeah, because this is an excellent idea. I can get an 80" wide Dalite 16:9 screen for $130, or an 80" 1:1 screen for $80, and mask as needed, then I'm not stuck in 16:9 (even though I only change to 4:3 when I play Splinter Cell on my XBox. Thanks guys, you really saved me some scratch! (every penny counts, the SO is keeping track) Do you just use black felt? Would a velvet/suede materal work?