DIY Mains - Sound as good as PSB, Polk, Paradigm etc...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Seerden, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Mike_Seerden

Mike_Seerden Extra

I would like to build my own speakers and think I will go with a Nebula design Patrick suggested by Ken Perkins. Here is the link. Might have to have a Yahoo account to view.
    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/rcavic...dir=/PL18_XT25
    Will these sound as good as say... the new Polk LSi line, Paridigm Mini monitors, or PSB's bookshelf speakers. All ones I was thinking about buying until my layoff. Now that I have a job I need to conserve cash and building can be very rewarding. Have built a few pro audio systems and subs but never audiophile speakers.
    I would like to have something that sounds very exceptional but doesn't cost a fortune. I am going to listen to the new Polks soon as they arrive at a local dealer but know they are out of my budget. I plan to build 5 to go all the way around. Let me know and thanks.

2. If you are looking to save money, while wanting exceptional sound, and also wanting 5 to go around for HT or the likes, they I would highly recomment you look at Dennis Murphy's MB-1

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have Dennis' MB1's and Danny's(GR-Research)AV1's (same drivers/different crossovers). Both designs will wipe the floor with the speakers you mentioned. In fact, I'm even sure that they will sound better than the paradigm, polk, premium line. The lowest octave isn't there but you will need a sub to get the lowest octave for any bookshelf or even floorstander for that matter.

Either of these paired with a good sub will get you in the ballpark of $5000 competition.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Mike, just remember that when you buy a commercial speaker, you are paying for a whole lot of mark-up (6x-9x the cost of the drivers/materials) for the pleasure of not building them. [​IMG]
    So, for your best bang-for-the-buck, kits are also a good value. DIY speaker building has come a long way in just the last 4-5 years with so many good (relatively inexpensive) choices for doing the development of the speaker crossover design and box design.

5. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

just wondering if there are web links to the mb1's and the av1's you guys are talking about?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,
    The AV1's can be found here.
    The MB1's can be found here.
    Brian

7. Dave Crigna

Thanks for the links Brian[​IMG] The av1 is good to go but the mb1 does not work.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dave,

I have trouble getting to Dennis' website sometimes. Try it again later.

BTW, I'm building a pair of AV1's at the moment. I hope to have them finished in a week or two.

Brian

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Dave,
    when you go to dennis' site click on Projects at the top, then "building your own MB1"
    This will take you there.
    or try this:
    http://www.murphyblaster.com/projects/MB1.html
    Just so you know, the MB1 has 14 components to the crossover and the AV1 has 5(well 7, but I don't count the bypass caps as components). So the MB1 would be more difficult to build if you aren't familliar with schematics or soldering. You also need to get good quality components which may cost you much more money. GR's AV1's are much easier and they come as a full kit with top of the line components(all foil inductors) as Brian will attest to as well. Just something to keep in mind.

10. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Here's another testimonial to GR Research speakers - I built the Paradox 1, and IMO it sounds better than the Dynaudio 52 and the Sunos Faber Concertino, both of which are in the $1000 range, and again IMO, in a totally different league from the Paradigm Mini Monitors that I had before.

11. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

What about the DIY audioreview.com kit by Ed Frias? There are some good reviews on it. Has anyone here built them? Goto audioreview.com click on learn then diy speaker kit. A pair can be built for around 300 including the cabinets.

Bob

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I've researched a lot on those Audioreview DIY speakers and have heard great things about them. They use good drivers and nice crossover components. For the cost, I'm sure they are excellent. But you can't use them for a center channel since they aren't shielded and they are a little bigger than most bookshelfs I hear. I would still have to recommend the GR speakers due to their superior components and great price.

13. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

I have been considering the GR Research Kits as well--they seem very well done. My only reservation is the sensitivity. FOr some low-power SET tube amps, efficiency has to be pretty high, (+92db or so) and I'd like to have the option of using one. I don't own any tube gear, but am very curious about it. I'd like to be able to make that move, but do it cheaply, with a low power option. In the realm of high efficiency, the Focal Aria kit looks fabulous, but it is much more expensive.
    BTW, what's the general feel about tube gear here? Are we going to get into a skier/snowboarder type rivalry? [​IMG]

14. Mike_Seerden

Mike_Seerden Extra

Thanks to all your suggestions. I will go through all my options but I am liking the MB1 design and price. Good to know an excellent speaker can be built relatively inexpensive. I have the skills from building PA systems so now to build my own setup for change.

I will keep you all up to date on my progress and review in the end.

Mike

15. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I borrowed the ASL Waves from a dealer and ran them with my Paradoxes for a week. The Waves arew an 8W push-pull design - more power than your average SET, but still definitely in the "low-power" category in my books. In my room (roughly 20'x15'), that combination plays loud enough. When I add a sub and high-pass the Waves and the Paradoxes, I'm sure it'll be able to go a lot louder (I decided to buy the Waves after my 1 week trial).

16. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I know this is kinda off topic but does anyone know if the GR research AV1's are really 8 ohm speakers? Also i've been reading alot about speaker designs recently and i'm a little worried about building the cabinets for the AV1's. How hard is it to make the driver cutouts, square cuts, ect.

Ryan

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ryan,

The AV1's are 8-ohm nominal, 7-ohms minimal speakers. The cabinets are actually pretty easy. The only true recess you have to cut is for the tweeter as the 5.25" driver is a surface mount design. The port requires a 2" hole which can be done with a 2" hole saw in a drill and the terminal cup requires a 3" hole (I'd recommend a 3.125" hole as the 3" hole is a little tight). As long as you have a tablesaw with the blade set at exactly 90 degrees getting the cuts square shouldn't be a problem.

I've got two pairs of AV1 cabinets ready for veneer. Hopefully I'll get that done this weekend.

Brian

18. Dave Crigna

Just want to say thanks also for all the info. Looks like its research time[​IMG]