DIY Loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark Sommer, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Mark Sommer

Mark Sommer Auditioning

I am currently reviewing some options for new front speakers. I have reviewed GR-Research A/V2 and the Adire Audio KIT 81. I am unsure of what direction to go. A friend of mine has the A/V2 and he loves them. Just wanted to know if there are any other kits out there I should look into that are in the same price range.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark.

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Mark,

For $300 or so a pair, there are a lot of options, mostly smaller speakers... all sorts of people build this type of speaker and make the plans publicly available. That much money can build you a very respectable pair of 2-way monitors with 5-7" midwoofers, and if you're willing to give up some output ability you can get something that's probably more refined and neutral sounding than the Adire or GR kits. I will try to dig up more information soon.

On the other hand, there is some merit to the idea of building large and powerful speakers that could be more fun to listen to, despite not matching the same "audiophile" qualities. I personally started out with Adire's Kit281s, and in fact I still have the same speakers, although with a new crossover of my own design.

I could help out a bit more, if you'd explain what kind of sound you're looking for, how much you'll use the speakers for movies as opposed to music, and that sort of thing. There are so many great sounding DIY designs out there and it is really a lot of fun to build and enjoy your own.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Madisound, Parts Express and Zalytron all have kits in this price range. PE also has a showcase area where people submit their own designs for anyone to copy.

BTW, there is a DIY section here at HTF with a ton of great information.

-Robert

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Are you looking for best bang for the buck or are you looking for a project? If you enjoy tinkering, then DIY is for you. (Can you solder? Wood working?)

I have been extremely pleased with my A/V-2s and A/V-1s.

5. Mark Sommer

Mark Sommer Auditioning

These speakers will be used for home theater only.

Thanks for all of the input.