DIY Logos

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BenSC, Dec 14, 2003.

1. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone, I haven't been around in a while, but I discovered this idea today and thought I would pass it along (unless someones already mentioned them).

My goal for my Dayton LoudSpeaker DIY's (set of D3's, 12DVC sub, D-Budget surrounds/center) was to make them look like I purchased them in the store. So, one thing that was always lacking was a nice 3 dimensional logo. I ran across some clock lettering/numbering today at Michaels and for $6 had enough to do all 5 speakers labeling them DLS-6 (D3's, 6.5" woofers), DLS-5 (D-Budgets, 5.24 woofer), and DLS-12 (The 12" DVC). They came out satisfactory, unfortunatly my camera doesn't do justice to the black finish they are on:

[​IMG]

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

meah i would just leave them blank, so they don't look like they were bought in a store.

3. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I duno, I make lots of stuff for my house, from audio to furniture. I always like to make things look such that when people see them, they don't realize I made it.

Makes the reaction even better when they ask "Where'd you get that?"

4. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

that looks really good! i cheated when i built my double advents. along with the extra parts i needed (drivers and xovers) i also got a pair of metal advent placards. i stuck 'em to the granite texture paint while it was still a little wet. looks like a factory job.

sm.

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks [​IMG]

I actually hunted PE's site for logo's, but they didn't have any. I saw those clock letters when shopping for a matt cutter, and decided to try them out. Other than an ever so slight size difference between the numbers and letters, it all came out nice.

They even stuck to the grill fabric on the surrounds.

6. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Any chance you could repost the picture? I am very curious to see how the logo turned out.

7. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Don't know, most of the fine furniture I see does not have a 3-D logo on the front. Even most commercial speakers put the logo on the grill so it disappears when you take the grill off.

8. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i was just thinking about doing the same thing to my sub. i was thinking about carving my signature out in wood and then painting it silver, but i've never done any woodworking that involved carving. the pic isn't showing up. can you repost or send it to my email , i'd really like to see how it came out.

eric

9. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

It's back up, my router went down for some reason. Cheapo probably didn't like the traffic generated from here [​IMG] If it goes down again I'll put it up on a more stable location.

10. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

11. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

I am of the opinion that speakers should look like furniture. But that's just me.