DIY line array project

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Womble, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Brian Womble

Brian Womble Extra

I would like to attemt a "line array" project, using 10-30 very inexpensive full range drivers. I read an article at stryke.com about putting together a line array speaker using 45 4" fullrange woofers, costing $0.69 each at PE! The resulting speaker was capable of very good effortless sound, and bass down to 50hz! of course treble could not extend to 20khz, but still sounded okay. this sparked some curosity in me and i would like to do this. i do not plan to use this speaker in my system, or do any critcal listening. my problem is that PE sold out of the praticular driver that i was going to use, and i cannot find a sutible replacement. I am looking for a Frequincy Responce of 80hz - 14khz. My cost for drivers should be around $20.00. I looked at MCM for sutible drivers but the site is not very well organized and i was unable to find anything.
    THANK YOU.
    Brian Womble

2. Brian Womble

Brian Womble Extra

Have any of you ever put together a speaker of this nature? or you can reccomend a driver costing somewhere around $1.00? Please help me.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would pose this question over on the Part Express Tech Board because there are folks that could provide some good advice/ideas.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Brian, if you get more serious about a line array, meaning possible use as main speakers, you should dialogue with ThomasW, of Klone Audio. Thomas is experimenting with various small drivers along with ribbons tweeters. I believe someday he will come up with the ultimate D-I-Y line array. http://www.klone-audio.com
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
    [Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on October 09, 2001 at 06:36 AM]

5. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Brian, you might want to look at the SA2-351 we offer. I can do $1.50 - $2 each depending on quantity. They have a much better response than the PE drivers. Here is the response plot for the PE driver:
    [​IMG]
    The response falls off quickly above 10KHz. Your goal of 14KHz is nearly impossible to reach without a ton of EQ.
    and here is the response plot for the SA2-351
    [​IMG]
    You can see the SA2-351 response goes out nearly to 20KHz.
    Just something to think about. I was happy with the characteristics of the line array we did with the PE drivers, but not happy with the drivers themselves at all.
    John

6. Paul_H

Paul_H Extra

I am experimenting with the stryke driver which has proven to be more difficult to mount than expected. The shielding cup on the magnet is actually wider than the frame at the face. In a test setup they sounded quite good crossed over around 500Hz. These drivers are not capable of semifull range production due to their smaller surface area and nonexistent excursion, but will cover high frequencies(>16kHz). I am now planning to mount them using a sheet of tough laminate over a 2" vertical slot. Laminate would let me mount the drivers from behind. I will make ovals for each driver and use bolts to attach the drivers. It would also reinforce the imposing look with a stone print.
    Paul Hagan