DIY Junkie

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tommy T, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Tommy T

Tommy T Stunt Coordinator

OK, I became addicted to this habit about a year ago when my wife and I purchased our first home. First project was an EBS Shiva and I love it. Since then I've gone on to build a DIY rack for all of my components and I've been eyeing a set of speakers.

Not only has this habit taken off with Home theater, I feel I can build ANYTHING now! Yes, I'm addicted!

Now I'm off to DIY rehab after this past Saturday. Driving home after a softball game I see a new construction site and low and behold, a 5 foot section of 24" Sonotube just blowing in the wind next to a dumpster. I tried to drive by but it just kept calling me!

Jumped out, squeezed the whole section of tube in my Explorer and off I was. When my wife came home and saw the tube, she said, "Like hell you are!"

Anywho, I'm contemplating another..hehe! This time I'm thinking a Tempest since the tube is 24" but can this be done under 30" in height so I can "hide" it and use it as an endtable? Just curious if you guys think a short Sono-Temp will compliment the EBS Shiva?

Whew, I've completed the first step...admitting I have a problem!

Tommy

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I'm running two subs. One is a 122L sealed Tempest. It's about 22" x 26" sitting on 4" legs for a total height of 30". The other is a Shiva TL, made from 14" sonotube and about 7 feet tall. I run both of them with a 2 channel 1000W external amp tamed with a BFD. They seem to work fine together. The advantage is since both of them sit near the front wall I get huge, balanced bass impact for both movies and music. I'm thinking the answer to your question is yes, you can contribute to your habit and have WAF. You could go either sealed or vented. If vented there's enough room with 24" tube to have the vents and the driver fire down, then drape a tablecloth over the sub. VIOLA!

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'd go with a 5 ft^3 sealed Tempest sonosub (stuff it with about 3 to 5 pounds of polyfill) if you're going to want to use 24" wide sonotube. You should easily be able to get the height under 30" with this setup.

I built a ported 6 ft^3 sub (Sunosub III), but the porting required a longish port length w/r/t the height of the sonotube, so going sealed is a better solution for your height constraint.

4. TimForman

Of course you could put in "bent" tubes in your port to get the length, then adjusting the volume accordingly to the volume taken up by the extra tube, then adjust the tube, then the volume....AHHHHHHH!! STOP THE MADNESS!!! I need a fix. Where's my Lou Reed CD. "I'm waiting for the man"....

5. Tommy T

The reason I'm wanting another is due to the size of the family room, 18X20. It opens up to the kitchen so I'm losing a lot of the umph because of the size. Not much room gain. Not to say that the Shiva doesn't fill it, it's just that I know in a closed room, 1 Shiva would be enough.

I should really be focusing on building some speakers but the free tube is sooo inviting! And with the ease of construction this is just so Tempt-ing!

Saying I did build one, do you guys recommend stacking them in the same corner?

I can hear it now, "Hello, my name is Tommy, and I'm a Bassaholic!"

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Keep the subs in the same corner unless you want to deal with bass cancellation issues and room modes.

7. TimForman

I keep reading about bass cancellation and comb filtering yet I don't think I've experienced that. I have my subs on opposite sides of my RPTV on the front wall. Am I missing something and don't know it or just lucky?

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

9. TimForman

OK, time for more test tones. Need to shake the bugs out of the rafters anyway.

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Cruising construction sites, eh? Yeah, that's a bad sign. I find myself wandering Home Depot looking at PVC, MDF, and anything that's remotely related to speaker building.

They're doing construction on my office building.. so whenever I see a piece of pipe on the ground... "hey, I wonder if I could use that?"

11. TimForman

12. Bill Fagal

Bill Fagal Stunt Coordinator

This white paper is packed with great info about multiple sub placement. A must-read.

Bill

13. Tommy T

Thanks Bill.

Dave, I wasn't purposely going through the sites. We build a new home last year and there's still new construction in the area.

But I MIGHT need to do that more often!

BTW, the tube has made it out of the garage and into one of the spare bedrooms for now. Out of sight out of mind...her's that is!

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

15. TimForman

You are so twisted Neo! Is Brew City anywhere near Alanon?

16. Tommy T

I think I could maybe quit if I kinda wanted to...possibly!