DIY interconnects?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Bruce, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

Here's the plan. My interconnects are really really horrible rca cables (I think one was from my NES :O). Anyways, I was thinking of making my own for fun. Anything would probably be better than what I have now. Would COAX make cable with some rca ends on it? It's just for video lines (No, I have no Svideo at this point in time).

Does the coax have any sort of issues with capacatance I should be worried about? I thought it would work quite well as it's nice and thick, and insulated. I'm only talking about a foot or 2 of cable anyways.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but is it that you wish to make interconnects or a video cable?

3. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

I'm sorry, I made that really unclear. I want to make some rca video (and a few audio) cables to hook up things like my dvd player to my reciever.

4. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

Lol, way to answer my own questions. I just made a little 6" video cable using coax, and the picture was great! (For rca that is [​IMG]).
    I wonder how longer runs will affect the picture (With increased line resistance)

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Here's a nice site I found a while back.
    http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm
    If you don't wanna have the high start-up cost associated with this, you can probably find a member on this forum (and I know there a few over at Audio Asylum) who will make nice cables out of quality components for not very much money at all.
    Aaron

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Rob: I do support the DIY effort for cables.

But you need to understand that different signals have different issues and buy better quality materials.

The video cables handle fairly high frequency and are sensitive to the IMPEDENCE, not capacatance. And long runs are not usually a problem. The cable manufacturers typicall publish specs across 100 feet of cable.

Video cables should be made with something called 75 ohm impedence coax. (Audio cables can be made with 50/75/110/300 ohm coax)

Chris White's web site is very good. I've followed his suggestions and built several cables. You CAN get away without all the special tools, but just take your time with the knife & pliers and you can create a very good cable.

7. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

Wow. Thanks for the input guys. I realise that coax video cables arent going to provide me with the BEST video quality, it's a step up from what I have. Eventually I will spend the money and get some nice cables (Like when I finally get a component video hdtv)
    Great site too. That was exactly what I had in mind, right down to the shrink tubing [​IMG] .