What's new

DIY home theater: painted projector screens (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Helen Anne
[SIZE= 12px]Hands down, the best way to view your HD projector is on a high-quality screen. Manufacturers like Screen Innovations and Da-Lite use materials designed to enhance contrast and color in their projector screens. The results are deep blacks and punched-up white levels. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]But we totally understand that not everyone can afford a high-quality screen. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]We recently wrote about Nelson, who created a screen in his basement using Home Depot brand ceiling paint. The results are pretty impressive. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]We've also heard good things about Behr's HD screen paint.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]What about you, HomeTheaterForum members, have you had any luck with painted projector screens?[/SIZE]

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Definitely. There are numerous paint formulas to be used at Avsforum.com depending on your projector and room conditions. My 2 previous screens were Behr Ultra Pure White, and a light gray called Winter Mist. I got tired of re-painting every couple years, so I went to a Wilsonart laminate screen(Designer White) that's worked out great.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've used plain, white black-out curtain material with a Panasonic AE-900u (purchased from Projector People) for 5 years. I designed the screen to easily remove the border so I could try out different paint formulas but never got around to trying. Both my wife and I were stunned at the quality compared to the different projectors and screen combinations that we auditioned during the buying process. The $75 price tag for the entire screen just sealed the deal and we haven't looked back.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Painted projector screens are very compelling! I almost went with that kind of DIY project in my theater, and I still might do so when my ancient projector breaks (the old X1 keeps soldiering on). For now, a pull-down classroom style Da-Lite gets the job done for a very modest price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks