DIY grills?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seungsoo Hwang, May 13, 2001.

1. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Just a question for those who have made speaker grills for their speakers..is this an easy process, or is there more than meets the eye? I would like to make a grill for my subwoofer, but am not sure exactly how to go about doing it. Does anyone have instructions/pictures of the process?
    Also, I keep hearing that you should drill holes BEFORE finishing the cabinet, but if you are going to laminate over those holes, wouldn't you have to drill through the laminate again anyways? If you could clear up that portion it would be great as well.
    thanks!

2. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Seungsoo,
    I've experimented with making grills and it really isn't too difficult. I've found that making the frame out of 1/2" MDF works quite well. If you have a jigsaw it's easy to cut out any shape you'd like to use.
    I found that I liked the look of 45 degree edge on the front. I also tried a round over edge but liked the lines that the 45 produced better.
    As far as covering the frame all you need is speaker grill fabric to strech on it and a hot glue gun to attach it.
    Here's a few pictures (this one was really a test and I decided to modify my design a little for the final grill.)
    [​IMG]
    Front View
    [​IMG]
    Back View
    [​IMG]
    Edge Detail
    -EJ
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    my HT site

3. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Very nice EJ! I love grills, as it obviates the need to countersink the drivers. [​IMG] Use a thickness that's at least as deep as the thickest flange, and roundover the holes as needed for a smooth transition. The material also damps a slightly noisy vent like a flare does.
    The main thing though is to get it tight! Don't want it adding its own resonance, wasting acoustic power.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would flush mount the tweeters, regardless of the presence of a grill. You can get away with not recessing the woofers.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

5. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Why? What do you gain?
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

6. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the suggestions..Eric, very nice looking grill you got there!