diy fiberglass/epoxy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron D Core, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

Would anyone here have any links to some good diy fiberglassing links? Preferably related to audio, but anything works for me.

I came across this stuff the other day. Its an epoxy that goes on surfaces and dries glossy and smooth. Its the same stuff they coat bartops with. Has anyone here used this for any of their projects? I thought it would be interesting to coat some nicely stained wood with it. I'm curious to see what its like to work with.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ron,

I'm interesting in this product that you're talking about. Can you give us more info? Also, I'd never use something like that on wood. It'll ensure that the wood ends up looking like some cheap plastic. It could look really great over a painted finish though.

Brian

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

The hard part with the epoxy finish is getting it on an enclosure in one step and not getting runs. It is self leveling and pretty thin (for epoxy). The best way would be to have the enclosure mounted on something that would allow you to rotate it slowly to ensure even coating. I've used it on bartops, but not something like this. If done right, it can look 3 dimensional, as the finish is thick and very clear.

Pete

4. Ron D Core

if you goto www.fiberlay.com and look under epoxy resin systems on the left, then to decorative, you'll see it, its called "system three mirrorcoat." As far as making it look liek cheap plastic, I don't think it would, the stuff is clear as glass, and the wood still looks pretty nice under it. I didn't plan on covering the whole box with it, a couple panels on the sides. I was thinking it could go on thinner to keep it from looking too deep.

5. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

You may want to try a search for surfboard glassing sites for several reasons:

1.Modern boards require very thin, lightweight glass that may not make the wood look plasticky, as I have seen furniture with thicker finishes that look very good.

2.The manufacturing process includes glassing one side of the board, then the other. How the individual creates the seamless blend of the two sides is germane to your operation, IMHO.

I'll try to explore if I can tonight and offer something more concrete.

6. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

7. Ron D Core

Yeah I was looking for car audio as well, I just figured I would try this forum anyway. Thanks.