DIY Extension Cord

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayDaniel, Sep 19, 2002.

1. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

I am in need of a 200' - 250' extension cord. Because of the length, I assume it would need to be 12/3 cable. Is that correct, or should I be using a different gauge?

I've only looked at Home Depot so far, and what I found was interesting. The 12/3 bulk cable was far more expensive (almost 2X) than buying two pre-made 100' extension cables with plugs. These things aren't cheap either (about $35 each).

Is there another way/source I should consider rather than piecing 3 cords together?

Thanks.

JayDaniel

2. it all depends on how much current you plan on drawing.

FYI, 250ft of 12awg Carol Command wire at PE is 105.50.

3. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

I think it is 10 - 11 amps. It is for an electric edger, to edge my curb, driveway, and sidewalks.

4. FYI, when 12awg solid wire is ran in the house, it is used with a 20amp breaker...so you should be fine with 12awg.

5. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

JayDaniel

Thought about a petrol edger ??

More power
    No cord
    Much more fun

Warrick

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Let's see here. Cords, rolling and unrolling the cable, legth of cable, plus cost of the edger. I'm in agreement with warrick. Buy a petrol one. Sell your electric edger. Once you add in the cost of the two 100' cords and a 50' cord you are at $110. You should be able to get $40 for your electric edger so and new gas edgers go for around $180. Save yourself all the hassel. Go with gas.

7. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Try the ryobi gas line trimmer (weed eater) which is very reliable and has an edger attachment. About $180 will get you a trimmer and edger. Had mine for 8 years and it's still kickin'.