1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DIY EX/ES channel calibration with VE DPL test tones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John H, Nov 5, 2001.

1. John H

John H Second Unit

I am using an external DPL processor to extract an ES/EX channel.
    I have used the (Left/Right Front and Center) internal test tones in the DPL unit to calibrate the now side and rear surrounds to the same level. I then use VE 5.1 test tones to calibrate all 5.1 channels to the same level.
    I then switched over to VE DPL track. The Front stage L/C/R tones were identical. The rear channel (monophonic signal being produced by both L/R rear speakers in a DPL setup) test tone now being processed by the EX/ES DPL unit as a matrixed EX/ES channel measures 3db lower than the other channels.
    Is using the rear channel "DPL" test tone on VE a viable method for setting the level of an EX/ES channel?
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    [Edited last by John H on November 05, 2001 at 03:48 PM]

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I wouldnt. I used to have my theater set up the same way.
    The best thing I can think of would be to use the THX OptiMode off of TPM. Star Wars has a redone Optimode to be used with EX/ES. It has a matrixed SB tone and it works great.
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

3. John H

John H Second Unit

quote: The best thing I can think of would be to use the THX OptiMode off of TPM. Star Wars has a redone Optimode to be used with EX/ES. It has a matrixed SB tone and it works great.[/quote]
    The optimode test tones on Episode I are used to verify speaker assignment and placement. On this title it states... "This test is not intended to be used to set exact speaker volume levels"
    Other THX titles that included optimode test tones were to calibrate speaker sound levels for that specific disc.
    I believe that the 3db decrease in sound on my EX/ES channel when using the VE DPL rear tone is because...
    It is 1 channel producing the noise instead of 2. If both L/R DD channels produced an identical tone (phantom center) it would be 3dB louder than if a single channel (EX/ES) was producing that tone.
    Is that correct?
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    [Edited last by John H on November 05, 2001 at 08:50 PM]

4. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

In just a short while you'll be seeing our next disc, Sound and Vision's Home Theater Tune-Up become available. That DVD does have 6.1 channel audio tests in its repetoire.
    If I understand you correctly, yes a matrixed, central signal which is to be carried on two channels needs to be decreased by 3 dB or else the final level on playback is double due to the signal coming from two channels being summed.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

5. John H

John H Second Unit

Thanks Guy,
    Thats what I was trying to say in my last statement.
    I will be looking forward to your new tune up disc.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    [Edited last by John H on November 05, 2001 at 11:03 PM]