What's new

DIY end table / coffee table? (1 Viewer)

Craig Carrigan

Stunt Coordinator
How do you people make such incredible looking subs? I can't even tell that they're subs unless, well, you know what I'm saying.

Do you make the sub box out of MDF and then use thin finishing wood around it? I'm not quite sure how the design works, but in my new house the WAF of my current DIY is going to be nil. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Craig Carrigan

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that one. Thanks for the link. I just couldn't tell the exact design to get the great finish and trim.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The alignment is stock one for the Tempest designed by the folks at Adire

Darren_T

Second Unit
Hi Craig,

Using only veneer or paint is definately the safe and easier way to go. You don't have to know much about the physics of solid hardwoods to do that. When designing a sub enclosure treatment or other furniture for that matter with the intent of using solid hardwood you need to take expansion and contraction into account. You can usually get away with laminating smaller widths of hardwood to a more stable surface such as MDF. By smaller I mean less than 9" in width (across grain). Any wider and you run the risk of the hardwood splitting with humidity changes.

My current subwoofer is just a painted enclosure. I was going for simple and understated on it. The Tempest you linked to was my first sub and I really enjoyed it. It was a fun project.

Oh, and yes, the structure of the sub you linked to is solid MDF, I then veneered it with cherry and finally added the solid hardwood styles and rails, feet, and top. They are not structural except for the feet. You can see the constructio photos here: http://www.garagehobbies.com/thomasw...nstruction.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks