What's new

DIY DVD rack designs (1 Viewer)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I was curious to see if any of you have built your own dvd rack/cabinet. I am interested in building one and would love to see either the pictures or designs others have used.

Bob Nowaskey

Auditioning
I made an oak CD rack a couple of years ago. All 1x oak except for the back (1/4" oak plywood. The rack is 68" tall and 25 1/2 " wide. The shelves are 1x6, the sides are 1x8, the top is 1x10 and the bottom is 1x12. It cost about $125.00 in materials and about a weekend to build stain and finish. I could e-mail you a couple of pictures.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
My Built-in Rack

I have built in shelves on either side of my TV that I modified to hold my DVD's and CD's. The link above has pictures and short descriptions for each picture.

My whole HT Pics can be found here.

Hope it helps some.

TonyGricar

Agent
i'm not building a rack as such, but am building a couple of drawers with dvd holders. the reason i mention this is that Rockler (rockler .com) sells dvd holder strips in 6' lengths. they can be used in either a vertical or horizontal application.

tony

keoni

Agent
I built my own. wish I had pics for it. It is 72 inches tall and just deep enough for a standard DVD case. The sides, top/bottom, are made out of 3/4 inch oak plywood which I glued together to make an 1 1/2 inch thick outer frame. The shelves are made out of 1 inch oak. The top and bottom where biscuited, glued and screwed with large 3 inch screws. The shelves where dato jointed for strength, glued and screwed to the frame. I applied wood filler for drill holes and sanded clean until all edges where flush.

Before I applied the backer board I applied the stain. The reason I did this was to avoid stain buildup in the creases which would be hard to reach. I used waterbased minwax "honey gold"?? which gave the shelving a beautiful golden appearance that worked really good with the grain. After that I stained the 1/4 oak backerboard and allowed it to dry. (if your going to finish with a poly I would do it here too) After applying the poly I inset the backer board into the shelf itself and predrilled and screwed 1/4 inch oak faced plywood, this made it as solid as a rock. The front has flush oak lips so that the DVDs will not fall out should it be bumped.

For the trim going around the front of the rack I used 1 inch oak stock which I routed both edges to make it look nice. I also routed out a groove in the middle of the trim and inlayed a strip of walnut around the entire case. In each corner connecting the inlayed trim I have an Oak rossette. It holds about 250 DVDs and I have about 150 in it right now, looks great. I also used the same stain with my audio cabinet and my window trim. Looks great.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
I've made two flexy media racks, and the second one turned out really nice. 6' long 5/8" threaded rods with 5/8" MDF shelves. I used a 5/16" roundover bit on each side of the shelves to make a bullnose on the front and sides. The bottom has three pieces glued together for stability and two pieces at the top to hide the top nut. I cut pieces of 1-1/4" PVC pipe at 8-1/8" long to use between the shelves to hide the all-thread. I had to Dremel the PVC each end to increase the I.D. to clear the nuts. Everything is painted with black Hammerite spray paint.

A close-up of the bullnose edges and PVC:

You can't see it well in the pictures, but I put a strip of MDF between the two back posts as a backstop on each shelf.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Mine is a pretty basic design. I haven't worked out any of the dimensions yet... but, here's a drawing:

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a little before I start cutting. :)

I had originally intended to build a subwoofer/DVD rack but, I'm glad I didn't... I have my Indiana Jones box set is sitting on top of my sub now and the DVD's slowly work themselves out of the box when watching a movie. :)

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you could always angle the shelves say, 8-15 degrees towards the back, of course, I cant speak of dvds working their way out of sleeves and such, but the CLICK IN dvd cases (98% of them) would hold DVDs in any kind of vibration, and the cases wouldn't come jumpin out of the shelves when angled.

Daffy Arthur King

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks