1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Dual Tempest Sonotube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelM, Jun 8, 2002.

1. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I have 4 tempests laying around from my old car system and would like to create 2 dual sono's for my living room. I have 2 SVS 25-31cs+'s running off a Sampson in my dedicated HT. I would like equal output although I heard that if done right then can sound like 2 Ultra's. If this is the case I'll move the SVS's to the living room. Any suggestions on volume/port size/port length. If you know of any good web pages for example/research purposes please post them.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The main trade-off for using the Tempest is enclosure size. What's the largest you can go on either enclosure?

3. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

6 ft maximum

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

6ft height or 6ft cubed? 6ft cubed won't cut it for dual Tempests. 6ft hieght with 24" tube will though.

5. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

JoelM,

Here's what I recently built:

28"x54" sonotube = 480L
    2 Tempests
    3x3/4" MDF endcaps
    2 6"x20" ports for 17Hz tune
    8#'s of blanket batting for stuffing
    HS500 amp 250wpc

It will hit 125+db from 25Hz on up in my 16x22 room. 2 of these would be INCREDIBLE, build it now!!! I plan to do a second one when I move to a bigger house. Good luck...Mike

P.S. These specs came straight from Dan W @ Adire.

6. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Mike thanks for that post!! Sometimes I need a handbook with exact measurements when doing a DIY project. To think that your pushing those babies with 250watts when they can handle 600 each. OMG I can't wait to get started.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Power handling is just how much the voice coils can handle without melting. Just because a sub can take 600W doesn't mean you need to feed it anywhere near 600W to realize it's full performance.

Take for instance a 340L EBS ported Tempest. It only take 210W and a 25hz signal to get the driver to Xmax (it's linear travel limit).

In a big EBS type allignment 250W is oodles of power for a single Tempest. Feeding it more just means you can move the driver to were it will start to distort badly.

8. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Dustin knows of what he speaks. I would think 600 watts would be TOTAL over-kill. Large enclosures don't require a lot of power and the Tempests are a pretty efficient driver. Also don't forget that you're going to build TWO of these which I believe "should" provide a 6db increase. Hope your house can take it [​IMG]

9. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks again. I am so used to car audio that sometimes I push things to there max. I had two JBL1200's(more like 1325watts x2)pushing the 4 and had great results. Now that I upgraded to 2 Brahma's I feel that I'm still underpowing them but I'm still reaching xmax on them. [​IMG]

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

4 Tempests? I can imagine the look on the insurance inspectors face when he sees all the cracks in your walls.

Well, good luck. I say if you already have the big amps, go for it (just watch out for bottoming in the 25-35Hz range). With 4 tempests and 600w each, you're looking at about... 128-132+ dB, I think. Just have airsickness bags ready before you start a movie.