DIY DTS/DD Decoder, has any one ever tried to build one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Monette, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Jason Monette

Jason Monette Second Unit

I am thinking about building a home theater system for fun. I can find info on building a pre amp, tuner, amps, speakers and subs. But I am having trouble finding any info on a DIY DD/DTS decoder. If anyone has built one or has any info/schematic on how do this, it would be great if you could post it here.

2. Jason Monette

any one?

3. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I'd imaging there are some licencing issues, besides the actual decoder chip would probably be so expencive it'd defeat the purpose of DIY.

4. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

The closest thing I have ever seen is a decoder based on a HTPC, using software do decode and multichannel soundcard to output.

I'd have to agree with mark, this just wouldn't be worth DIY, unless you already have a powerful processing chip sitting on a circuit ready to be programmed and are ready to spend a year on R+D; but if that was the case you probably wouldn't be asking here...

5. Jason Monette

thanks guys for your input. It looks like I will just have up and buy a decoder. IF I find anything on the web, i will post it here for everyone to see.