DIY Dolby Digital Decoding

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ShaneH, May 23, 2003.

1. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Thinking of ideas for a 5th semester project for school (Electronics) and was wondering how hard it would be to decode DD. It doesnt have to be the best quality sound, but it needs to work. Is this a feasable project or am I over my head on this one. I want to decode the signal and use my yamaha 795a for amplification. Also I'm not real worried about the sub channel if that makes a difference. Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Believe you need to pay Dolby for the algorithm.

Try MP3 first. It's easier, and the algorithm is widely published. If you can't do that, you'll never get anywhere with Dolby.

3. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

The algorithm is spelled out in the ATSC audio specification (http://www.poohsticks.org/a_53.pdf), and there's at least one free-software decoder floating arround that you could look at to get an idea of scale (this used to be included in the LiVid Linux DVD decoding project source).

It's more a software problem than hardware; although if you're in an electrical/computer engineering program that might be appropriate.

4. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info and links guys, I'll dig into it and see what I can find