DIY crossover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Merrow, Oct 7, 2001.

1. David_Merrow

David_Merrow Stunt Coordinator

How hard is it to assemble the crossovers in speaker packages? I have no experience with electronics but wanted to build my own speakers and was worried about the crossover.
    thanks

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Its not too bad. You have to know how to do two things- solder and read simple schematic diagrams. Speaker level crossovers are a good soldering begineer's project since the leads are large, there is lots of open space and the components are heat tolerant. Some kit sellers will assemble the crossover for you for a pretty nominal charge. ACI for one does this.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I just finished 4 sets of xovers for the kit81's. Make sure you have some "thicker" solder, as some of the connections really soak it up. I found that flux really makes the solder flow onto the wire, espescially the 14 ga wire that these had, much better. And hope you have a good strong solder iron that generates good heat, not one of those 5 watt pencils. I used a mini torch for some of the larger connections (2 14 ga wire with 2 16 ga inductors with a capacitor).
    Pete
    ------------------