DIY component racks, other than flexy style

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan Castillo, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Anybody have a diy rack that you are proud of, other than the flexy type? Obviously the ease of building flexies adds to their appeal, but the look and sharp/exposed corners isn't for everyone. Searches produce mostly flexies and invalid pages. thanks for the help

2. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

it wouldn't be that hard to round the corners you know. and if you don't like the metal bars, cover them with some sort of tubing and paint to taste. just a thought...

3. Juan Castillo

understood, and already thought of, just looking for other examples of DIY stuff to see if there are other models to consider before building. I recently came into 4 sheets of 3/4 inch sanded oak plywood and one 1/4 inch sheet of backer material. I can make two or three flexies with this material, and would like to see what is out there other than using a prefab enclosure as a model. Please, if anyone has any other suggestions Let me know. If not, I will design something, and let you all know how it goes when finished. Thanks.

4. Juan Castillo

I have been through every single picture/website link on the theaters link from this site and others I have been to and it seems that if it isn't a flexy, its a built in wall setup, or a server rack style, or a prefab entertainment center. I know this does not leave much in the way of originality and my original hopes of finding someone elses project to be just what I like were a bit too high. So I guess my quest is over. When I finish my project. I will post some pictures to highlight my humble HT, and the DIY stuff I have done so far. If others out there have links to websites, or view this later, please chime in. Thanks again.

5. Aaron Holbrook

I've been working on a design using stainless steel tubing that would be bent and welded together. With tempered glass for the floors (if you want to call it that). If I ever get some money and find someone that can weld stainless steel and make it look good I'm gona give it a try.

6. Juan Castillo

Sounds like that would look cool. I do appreciate some of the fancier prefab High end models out their. But having four sheets of good plywood fall into my lap, and needing a new rack that will not only hold my gear, but my TV as well, I think I will build something and see how it comes out. Really, besides some wood putty, and screws... My time is the only real cost. Hopefully, I will like it enough to keep it, but if not, I am sure I will be able to find it a good home.

7. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Juan,
    I too am in your boat, well sorta...........
    I needed a new rack but wanted to spend the $ on equipment upgrades so a DIY rack project was in order. It started off as a simple & cheap square flexy but it flexed too much and it looked way too cheap. I also hated seeing all those wires even after I put them in tubing. Then I got to thinking. Maybe I should just enclose it to sturdy it up and paint the MDF with a high gloss black. NAAAAAAA. What about shape and different cheap materials? And that's when it hit me. I'll make it look like my speakers. I have big Infinity Kappa 8.1 for mains and smaller 6.1's for rears and Kappa Video for center. They all have a home plate type shape. So this is what I've been thinking. Home plate top & bottom made of wood painted a high gloss black (I wanted to use good wood and stain cherry then clear coat but speakers are black and new TV is black so gotta match). I will then use 4 glass shelves. I will put a wood strip down the back that will be high gloss black. This will serve to hide all cables as well as make it sturdy without enclosing the rear for max ventalation (class A Amps get hot ya know). Front L shaped corners for strdyness will be high gloss black too. Also in the front corners I plan to put a small light in. Maybe not, we'll see.
    I tried to put in a pic but have no idea how. I also tried to draw it using letters, ha what a joke that was. Email me and I will send you my drawings in paint program and pics as they come.
    Pray with me on this one..............[​IMG]

8. Juan Castillo

Thanks Chris. Seems like we are not with the consensus on this one. Dig your idea. Hope the glass work doesn't make things harder. BTW.. YGM

9. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

I have plans for making a AV shelf toward the end of
    the summer. My Idea is to have the "regular" box style.
    However My rack will be on casters and have a "overhang"
    The Idea of the overhang is, I'll have the shelves about
    18" deep. But the top and sides will be ~24" deep. This
    way all the wires will be hidden by the cabinet, when I butt
    the cabinet against the wall.
    The reason for this at my house is that the TV is right
    by a hallway. And every time I go down the hall I see
    them ugly wires.
    The nice thing is I have all the tools to do the work at
    work. And the boss man said he'd help[​IMG]
    good luck Juan in your search.

10. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Stunt Coordinator

I too am looking into a reack but not sure if I want to go with the Flexy just yet.

11. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Here's mine:
    Stand 1
    Stand 2
    Stand 3
    Made completely from MDF(except the birch top). The sliding doors are smoke color plexi-glass.
    -EJ

12. Juan Castillo

Dang Eric, that is sweet! You obviously have some skill. Except for the drawers, that is about what I had in mind. Especially the screened in center channel. Nice work.

13. JohnRyan

Eric, what is MDF?

14. Chris Carswell

John, MDF is medium densidy fiber board.
    I got your email along with Juan's.
    I'll send you both some pics of what I got. I'm also working on my HT web page so I can finally add links to my posts.
    Juan, send me some pics of your stuff and ideas. You to John if ya got anything cool [​IMG]
    Is there any way to put a pic in the post or just links to pics?

15. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

It's medium density fiberboard.
    Basically they take wood or scraps and grind it into saw dust. They then mix the dust with glue and form sheets of wood with it.
    Medium density fibreboard is a high quality engineered timber product offering superior qualities of consistency of finish and density, freedom from knots and natural irregularities, as well as having the characteristics of strength, durability and uniformity not always found in natural timber. It has excellent machinability due to its homogenous consistency. These characteristics make MDF particularly suited for use in flooring, paneling, the manufacture of furniture, cabinets, and moldings, as well as structural applications.
    100% pine and a eucalyptus/pine blended MDF are common.
    If you're experienced you can smell a sheet of MDF and say what percentage wood is pine etc. [​IMG]

16. Chris Carswell

a huhu ahuhu

He said homogenous, a huhu ahuhhuh

17. Juan Castillo

Chris.. YGM

18. JohnRyan

Thanks Chris Tsutsui for the explanation. I may have to make a trip to Home Depot after work. Oh darn!

19. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

John,
    Don't you just hate it when that happens. Your car just kind of goes to it, and won't start until you buy something. [​IMG] At least that is what I tell her. hehe [​IMG]

20. Trent C

Trent C Agent

I finally finished my racks, but I don't have a digital camera so I can't post any pics [​IMG]
    What I ended up building were a few pieces based on the Sanus Natural Audio designs -- 2 four shelf units and one two shelf unit for the TV. I used solid oak and glass for the shelves.
    If I can manage to borrow a digital camera, I'll try and post some pics one of these days.
    Trent