DIY Center Channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Miller, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Search didn't work so forgive me if this has been discussed recently.
    I want to build a center channel with a M-T/M-M arrangement, likely a dome over a 5 1/4 flanked by 2 6 1/2s. Madisound has a kit, as well as Zalytron that is based on Audax drivers. Madisound charges $180 for the drivers and an assembled xover, and also will sell a box. Anyone build this or the Zalytron version?
    Alternately, parts express has some Peerless drivers on sale that would be a bit cheaper, but no crossover. Anyone want to design one??
    //Art

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

3. Andrew_Chan

Andrew_Chan Agent

Is it really worth it to do DIY loud speakers? Some good ones are cheaper yet look better than a DIY ones.. For subwoofer, DIY is the way to go because of the Price/performance, but for small ones, I doubt that

4. Dennis Kindig

Art,
    Go to my website and follow the link to my home theater page. You will see the Audax HT system that I built. My wife thought they looked so good that she didn't want me to put grilles on them.
    On my site you will find links to some closeup photos of the speakers, the plans on Audax's site, and some background info on Joe D'Appolito, the designer of this system. They also sound very good with music in 2-channel mode. So far I have heard two different sets of Definitive Technology speakers, a full HT set and a pair of BP-2000's, and the Def Tech's didn't even come close in sound quality.
    By the way, my site is NOT representative of my HT at this point. I have since added a Toshiba 57H81 RPTV, a 6 1/2' vertical audio rack, a Sony TA-E9000ES preamp, Panasonic RP-91 DVD player, and Dish Network. One of these days I will update everything.
    I am currently in the middle of building six 300 watt monoblock amplifiers (this is why I needed a large rack).
    My Many Hobbies
    Dennis

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Dennis, are the monoblocks kits? Please post more info. I have two Hafler DH220's. One I finished several years ago and the modified (mainly the power supply). I saved the other until now and have two up-to-date Musical Concepts boards that I'm going to replace the factory boards with. I also put in new caps and built my own rectifier with Harris hyper-fast diodes. The idea of building new monoblocks is intriguing - somebody stop me! [​IMG]
    Andrew, yes it is worth it if you want great sound. D-I-Y yields incredible value. You can build a two-way or M-T-M for several times less than the cost of commercial. It depends on goals. If you want small, inexpensive speakers for non-critical listening (TV, computer games, background music for parties, etc), then by all means there are some good commercial speakers that are affordable. If you can afford the more expensive commercial speakers, there are many that sound fine. Also, if you don't really enjoy the building aspect of D-I-Y, it might not be for you. YMMV
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
    [Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on October 05, 2001 at 06:51 AM]
    [Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on October 05, 2001 at 06:56 AM]

6. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Art,
    Had a major brain fart. I direced my questions to the wrong person. Sorry
    Andrew,
    If you're a handy person, dollar for dollar, you can't beat the price to performance ratio that DIY offers for any speaker. There are many great kits available that you can build for less than half of the cost of a similar design sold at retail prices. Plus you get to customize the finish to whatever you like.
    Dennis,
    I'd also like to hear more about the monoblocks you're building. Please, please.
    Your speakers look great. I'd also like to know more about the paint finish you did. They look very professional. How did you get it to look so good?
    Maybe you could post this info in a new thread or e-me so we don't take over Art's thread.
    Thanks,
    -EJ
    [Edited last by Eric M Jones on October 05, 2001 at 11:12 AM]

7. Dennis Kindig

Hank,
    I am building six Leach SuperAmps. I was able to get PC boards from a gentleman in Canada that had commissioned someone to make a large batch, but I think he is out by now.
    The rest of the project is strictly piecemeal. There are no kits out there that I know of. My audio projects page was a quick-and-dirty place to illustrate a possible chassis layout for the readers at Audio Asylum to critique.
    The Leach SuperAmp construction details can be found at:
    The Leach SuperAmp
    One person at Audio Asylum rated these as the best solid-state amplifier he had ever heard except for Ayre amps. Also, a very high recommendation considering he prefers tube amplifiers. See his post here:
    DIY Amplifier Thread
    Dennis