What's new

DIY center channel recommendations (1 Viewer)

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
First a little background: I currently have B&W 602s2 for my mains, an old infinity CC1 for my center channel, infinity RS3 rears, a DIY sonotube tempest sub, and an Integra (Onkyo) DTR-7 receiver powering it all.

I've never been happy with the infinity center, and have decided it's time for an upgrade. Of course I love the sound of the B&W LCR6, but approx 500 beans is a little steep right now. Eventually the front B&Ws will be moved to the rear and replaced with 603 or 604s. Of course I'd like the center to match the rest of the system tonally, so as such would like to build the new center with kevlar drivers (focal prob), and an aluminum tweet. Of course the other criteria is that the speaker has to be on the order of 30-40% cheaper (at least) than the LCR6 or it's not worth it, and still integrate well into the setup. I'd appreciate any suggestions for drivers, enclosures, or just whether or not you feel this is a feasible undertaking. I really value the advice of this board.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If you're planning on upgrading the fronts anyway, I suggest a total front stage overhaul. Build 3 identical monitors for the fronts. This way you don't have to worry about voice matching problems or money. I'm sure you can build the 3 for less than a pair of the 603's or 604's.

You get the best of both worlds. Most high quality DIY kits are avalible and will beat out those B&W's at a fraction of the cost.

Start lookin:

ACI- subwoofers.com

Speakerpage.com

AdireAudio.com

GR-Research.com (I chose these)

Many many more...

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Really? Beat out the B&Ws? I really like the sound of em, but i'll look into what you're saying. Thanks

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

I've built several pair of the ACI Emeralds and am about to build a pair of the Speakerpage K05B41 kits. I hope to have them up and running in a few weeks. I absolutely love the Emeralds but am interested in how the K05B41's compare at 1/3 the price.

BTW, what do the B&W speakers cost for a pair?

Brian

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Well, the 603s are 1100 for a pair retail, I believe. Now most decent B&M shops will cut that by at least 10%, so I'd say somewhere just shy of 1k for the pair. The 604s are about 300 more. I understand that the DIY jobs can be had for much less, but also think there are other "untangibles" associated with a professional product, such as aesthetics. I've been pricing some kevlar drivers and aluminum tweeters and after adding the price of the crossover, it really doesn't look like building the center is worth it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

The drivers you're looking at probably cost a lot more than what the B&W drivers cost. Of course, you can't outsource them since they make their own. But I bet they have less than $200 in the drivers themselves. That's $200 per pair! They probably have about $250-$300 total in a pair of speakers. That's just a guess on my part.

The whole point is, for about 1/4-1/2 the cost you could build a pair of kit speakers that would retail for $1K or so. For just a little more money you could build 3 and have a matching set across the front. Of course, I couldn't promise you they'd sound like B&W speakers.

Brian

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Might give some consideration to the driver layout since horizontal MTM configurations are for center chanels are problematic. Look at the Snell design. It provides the wide horizontal dispersion of a true vertical MTM, then augments the bass with side woofers. One doesn't need to make one this large, but following the driver layout will result in the best performance IMO...
xa2900.jpg

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Click the "CC" link in my signatiore below for my DIY implementation of a center channel. It's not as drastic as the one Thomas posted, but it gets the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks