DIY Center Channel Help

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daniel K, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Daniel K

Daniel K Extra

I have been thinking about building this...
    http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ure/index.html
    I am sure many of you have seen it. I also thought about just buying one but the common MTM I learned was very bad for horizontal dispertion (off axis performance). The only thing is that $200+shipping+wood is a little more than I wanted to spend. Any ideas/opinions on this design? How does it seem like it would sound? Any other good DIY center channels that you know of? Thanks

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You might consider another one from that website. It's a WTMW design which many prefer to the more traditional MTM design.

I'm not sure how it would compare to the one you're considering as I've never heard a center channel that was designed like that.

Here's the link to the other project: http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...nicc/index.htm

3. Daniel K

Daniel K Extra

Yeah, I saw that one too. Price would be about $115 + shipping + wood, not too bad. Any opinions on the drivers and x-over design? Which of the three tweeters would you choose? Thanks

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't think you'll have dispersion problems or combing with the first one. The main thing for that guy was sensitivity and I think it is a pretty good design. If you aren't looking for low profile and high sensitivity though, and height isn't an issue, then I'm not sure it is something I would build.

The correct spacing of the drivers and proper x-over implementation go a long way to keeping off axis response good. The MTMs I use maintain good off axis performance to 30degrees horizontal and vertical, so whether vertically or horizontally oriented, the sound remains very clean.

5. Daniel K

Daniel K Extra

I am looking for >30*

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The thing that most people tend to forget when looking at the design of the center is the fact that you will have 3 speakers up front, so the dispersion characteristics of the center typically does not need to be able to cover the entire room. With properly spaced mains, there is no reason why a center would need to cover an immense area, and if you are sitting the correct distance away from the center, you are generally going to get total coverage with response that is good to 30degrees off axis. ALL speakers suffer some drop off starting around 30 degrees off axis.