What's new

DIY Ceiling mount (1 Viewer)

Ali K

Auditioning
I have access to a fully equiped metal workshop and would like to do my own ceiling mount for a Sony HS 20, can anyyone help, or provide me with drwaings/pictures of a similar mount

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
It's an LCD video projector, full model of VPLHS20. I don't know the mounting hole configuration, though. I just mounted a Panasonic PTL711XU projector to my ceiling with a custom mount (came with the projector). The mount is just a piece of heavy gauge steel shaped like a square edged U, if you will, just with extra wide flanges on the top of the U, through which mounting bolts go up into the ceiling. It's about 12" wide (looking parallel to the projector throw), 20" long, and 4" high. My particular projector has four mounting holes on it's underside into which you attach machine bolts or threaded rod. Two are toward the front an inch or so in from the left and right sides, one is an inch or so in from the back in the center, and the other one I'm not using. My custom mounting plate has three channels cut in it longitudinally, just wide enough to accept the same size bolts which thread into the projector. The channels in the mounting plate are about 12" long and the middle one is offset to the back the same distance as the offset of the holes on the projector. I have nuts on the projector side of the mount, and wing nuts on top, so I can fairly easily adjust the height of any of the threaded rods, which allows me to tilt the image down if need be.

If I remember, I'll try to post a picture when I get home tonight. It's not the prettiest thing, but is very solid and being able to move the projector back and forth will be nice.

Aaron Gilbert

Ali K

Auditioning
Another question?

Some tilting function has to be built in to compensate for any imperfections in the ceiling. How do the mounts sold by manufacturers do this?

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Of what ceiling imperfections are you speaking? You aren't talking about exposed beams or soffits, are you? If you're just talking about a popcorn ceiling, I've got that, and didn't need to do anything special. All you're trying to do is make sure the projector is securely mounted to the ceiling, not have it aligned to the nearest micrometer. :) With my mount at least, the design allows great flexibility in tilting the projector or moving it up or down. Or perhaps you are speaking of a ceiling that's not actually parallel to the floor (or perhaps not perpendicular to the walls)?

To be honest, I'm not sure how they accomodate tilt/raise in professionally sold mounts, but they certainly must.

Aaron Gilbert

Ali K

Auditioning
I was taling about a roof not quite parallel to the floor. I definitely want to avoid the use of Keystone corrections,
I was thinking of digging a porthole into my backwall and adding a small shelf, as the projection distance will be quite marginal to fill a 92" screen.

Ali

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Ali,

Absolutely, if the projector throw distance works out such that you can place the projector in or behind the rear wall, that's a great way to go. That's how I'd do it if my room and projector permitted, as it would really cut down or maybe even totally eliminate fan noise from the projector, plus it would look cleaner and more like a real cinema.

Aaron Gilbert

AdamOster

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I would like to make a TV ceiling mount that hangs in my armoire and I would like it to swing my TV out and up while staying vertical. My Idea is similar to a home basketball backboard that raises and lowers. It would be spring loaded and adjustable for different weight TVs. I have looked for about a year and cant find anything like it. I can draw a pic and send if you like. Let me know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks