What's new

DIY Candy, Concessions, and Soda Counters (1 Viewer)

MikeWh

Second Unit
I thought since we had some moderate interest in the "DIY Illuminated Movie Poster Light Box" thread, that I'd start one on DIY Candy, Concessions, and Soda Counters.

I've been toying with a couple designs for the last couple months. Floor-standing... counter-top displays... walk-behind... etc... I'm considering a design that incorporates my microwave and popcorn paraphernalia, in addition to a sliding drawer for my movie poster collection. But I also like the look of a traditional glass-top/glass-front candy counter.

I'm interested in a couple things from those people who have made one or are designing one:

1. If you've already made one, could you post pictures or a URL showing design features?

2. Have you run into design issues that you particularly liked or that you wished you had done differently? For example, front access doors vs. back access doors, the "kid factor" (locks or no locks to keep the rugrats out of the candy stash);), hinged doors vs. sliding, types of lighting, etc....

3. If you own a manufactured or DIY soda fountain or beer tap setup, is it more of a pain than it's worth (e.g., keeping the area clean, CO2 canisters, syrup refills, etc.)? Do you have a wet-bar setup or dry-bar (i.e., fully plumbed drain or a sump for tap dribbles)?

MikeWh

Second Unit
Oh, well, Glenise. Looks like I'm on my own.... If I get around to making this any time soon, I'll shoot you the pics and plans. :emoji_thumbsup:

Glenise

Supporting Actor

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, The April issue of Home Theater Builder will inlcude:

DIY - Build a Candy Counter in 2 Days

MikeWh

Second Unit
Thanks, Paul! I'll check it out. I just ordered $80-worth of hardware yesterday.... I'll have to check out the article before building.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Can someone post pictures from the article?
I only subscribe to Audio Video Interiors.

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
Has there been any more movement on this? I've become obsessed with building a concession stand much like the third image in Glenise's post and I definitely want to learn more. It'll be awhile before I start construction, but, hey, its never too early to read DIY stuff. Anyone scanned that article yet?

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Raul and everyone else,

I plan on building one similar to this:
http://www.electroshops.com/consumers/concessions.htm
The second picture from the top.

It is fairly easy to mke these stands just use mdf and then use formica with some glue. You of course wll need a hammer, glue apllicator roller, and a router with a trim bit.

Just draw up your dimensions and go for it!

I must say I may look into the home theater builder magazine because maybe they have some links to a company that sells the aluminum and glass sliding doors. Everywhere I have seen the prices are expensive.

Signed
Ed O'Neill

MikeWh

Second Unit
Ed,

Making the counter is not a problem (at least for me). I was interested in design concepts.

BTW, I had seen the electroshops stand about a year ago, and I started using that one as a design inspiration. It's compact and has mostly what I want/need.

For glass sliding doors hardware (and pretty much any other specialty cabinet hardware), I HIGHLY recommend Rockler:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/categor...DID=6&CATID=20

I've not used either of their sliding door hardware, but you might find these links useful. Their Tech Notes are particularly helpful:

EZ-glide track (traditional wheel-based):
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdet...ID=37&CATID=20

4-ft plastic track (friction slide):
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdet...ID=37&CATID=20

I opted for a hinged door, rather than sliding, so I bought pivot hinges and touch latches.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Thanks for the link Mike Wh,

My theater isn't quite finished yet but the concession stand was my next project. I was going to make some post but I think you saved me time.

Thanks again
Ed

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have pictures of their concession stands? I am just researching the project now..

caniff

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Niffenegger
I thought I would share my candy counter display with you all here. I thought the endcap of my counter would be to bland. So I put a display in the end. With the mirror in the back it looks like there are multiple boxes of candy in there. Also, in this picture, it still looks unfinished. I have done a little more work on it since then but not much.

I used maple for the top and trim to match the cabinets.

Also note the bar gun that is coming out of the counter top in the back. This supplies me with my Coke, diet Coke, etc... What would we do without ebay!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks