diy cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike.D.K, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Mike.D.K

Mike.D.K Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone here used the double insulated cables and connectors from MCM electronics to make interconnects? They look simple to make. I just wanted to know if they were any good? Mike

2. Mike.D.K

Has anyone even heard of MCM ? Well I went ahead and ordered 100ft and 16 connectors. The cable is double shielded. The bill was 64.00, not too bad. I figure the component cables alone would cost that much.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Mike,

I've bought some stuff from MCM in the past; RCA's, drivers, amps, etc. Let me know what the catalog #'s are for the items you've ordered and I'll take a look at them.

Brian

4. Mike.D.K

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Mike,

I was pretty sure that was the cable and connectors you were talking about! I've got a bunch of the connectors with the red and black color coding on them but I've not used the cable yet.

Brian

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I bought some of the connectors and really like them. I made up some interconnects using Belden 1694A cable and since I prefer soldered connections, I did solder the center conductor into the center pin. There's a hole in the side of the pin so that after you insert the conductor, you can place your soldering iron tip into the hole, thus contacting the conductor and pin together. Then apply solder and it flows into the hole. Works great.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,

You forgot to mention that you also had to drill out the back part of the RCA connector for the 1694A cable to fit!

Brian

8. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Is it true as stated in the review link above that the MCM 50-2180's are the same cables that DH Labs uses for their ITC's? I was about to buy some bulk cable from them but if they are the same cable, then I'd go with the savings and raid MCM.

Thanks

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Martice, it may not be the same. If you want premium cable for you/family/friends/customers, stick with Belden or Canare. The price per foot difference is not that great. The largest cost factors are the RCA plug costs and your labor costs.
    Okay Brian boy, once again you have posted after me!
    Sorry folks, the inheritor of the Bungee cord fortune frequently feels the desire to stroke his ego by correcting me.
    Alright, I like Belden 1694A and I like these MCM satin silver RCA's. And yes, the Belden outside diameter is a tad large for the connectors, so I did drill them out a hair. Point is that these connectors are solid and can work with the physical contact method in this thread and also solder great.
    Whew! [​IMG]

10. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Thanks Hank. Where's the least expensive place to buy Belden cable?

11. I have a handful of Belden 89259 and some 1/4" techflex Braided jacket (black) for those who are insterested.
    If there is enough interest in interconnects, I can make up a batch of them for people at a very reasonable price! The price will be dictated by how many RCA's I will be getting from PE (the Dayton Locking RCA's are my preference).
    ..or if you have your own interconnects, I can ship you the rest of the stuff you need to make the cables.
    Let me know if this interests any of you...I am just getting rid of extra supplies
    [email protected]

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice,
    Since DH Labs use silver coated copper (AFAIK), I doubt the cable is the same. BUT, I've mentioned to Hank several times that the RCA connectors do look identical.