What's new

DIY Cables w/ generic RG6/U Cable (1 Viewer)

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
I've did quite a bit of research on this board to find out how to make my own "high end" video/audio cables, but I couldn't seem to find the one answer I was looking for.

Everyone seems to recomend either Belden or Canare cable for their projects, but before I go and buy new cable I have roughly 75' of generic Sat RG6U cable sitting in the basement. Give me a no bs answer, can I use this, or would I be better off buying new cable? Will I really notice a difference?

I plan on making component and general audio connects.
These are the 2 web sites that i plan on using for a template:
http://www.geocities.com/teddrain/diy_cables/index.html
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm

Cheers

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
It depends. If the cable you have has a solid copper center, has the same diameter center conductor you may be able to make a decent cable.

The reason many people stick with the Canare or Belden cable is that the connectors are made for certain diameter cables. If the center conductor is too small, you will not get an airtight connection. If it is too large, the crimp pin will not fit. Also, the Belden and Canare cables are made under stringent conditions and are swept tested to make sure that they have a 75 ohm impedance and low loss.

Without knowing the specs on your cable, you may end up with a nice set or you may end up with junk.

CJ

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It depends on how you plan to DIY, Jamie. As Cornelius noted, don’t count on using the connectors for the Belden or Canare cable. I’ve had good luck soldering RG-59 and RG-6 to RCA connectors, but the cable will have to have both the shield and center conductor made of copper.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
The cable is the cheap part. The connectors and tools are what costs you if you DIY. If I were gonna go through the trouble, I would want to make sure I used high quality stuff and only had to do it once.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
I've done some more net searching and I think you guys are right, do it properly the whole way through.

I quess i have one more question, does anyone know of any belden or canare suppliers/dealers in canada that I can look-up, either online or by phone? If not thats ok, I'm sure the ones recommended in those links will ship to Canada easily enough.

On a side note, I came across some audio/video cable from http://www.audioquestmusic.com under the custom install section.

Nice stuff, until I found some prices online for it. One can only dream..... or win the lottery.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the web sites guys.

I've read a few other sites that recommend Take Five Audio, but their prices seem quite steep, even if you do currency exchange and factor in the 15% duty/tax if you get nailed at the border. Although, I would spend a few extra dollars if its worth it.

choices choices....

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks