What's new

DIY Cables here I come. (1 Viewer)

Well I bit the bullet and bought the tools for making my own Belden cables with canare connectors. After all my research and checking prices I ordered from Rob at josephelectronics.com. Great service and prices. I discussed with him a power buy for the tools and cable. He sounded interested but told me I would need to speak to George. I am planning to put together a post with pics on construction when I am done. This will be the Chris White cables with belden instead of canare. I should have everything by this weekend so if you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
Jason;

I was going to order the required tools and connectors when I saw your post. Could you email me the prices you were quoted or Rob's email address so I can get prices.

I think a group buy would be great.

Thanx.

Paul.

It looks like I have successfully confused everyone. There is no power buy currently. I had discussed one with Rob and he sounded interested. He told me that George is the person who handles taking orders. If you go to their web site, you will find their phone number. When you call ask for George and tell him you heard about them from my order with Rob. For all the tools and 500 feet of cable I paid less than $360 the cheapest I found it anywhere else was at least $75 higher. Rob told me that they deal with the broadcast industry mainly but was very informative and helpful to me. They will definatly get my business in the future. Even without a power buy I thought the prices were great. www.josephelectronics.com
Let me know if there are any other questions.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jason, good decision to go with Joseph Electronics. I've been recommending Joseph Electronics since I bought from them a year ago. The personal service was fantastic - the guy spent lots of time on the phone with me and made alternate cable suggestion, told me what their pro TV broadcast customers use, etc, etc. I was so impressed that I called Belden and told the product manager what good customer service Joseph had. He said he does know and recognize that, and the Joseph is one of Belden's best distributors. BTW, he also told me that Belden cares about small businesses, like home wiring installers. I have switched to Belden. Better pricing than Canare and their premium video cable has better specs.

I am not sure if they work with other cables. Canare has information on what crimp dies work with Belden cable on their web site but it has been down for some time. I am sure that if you call josephelectronics they can point you in the right direction.
Hank: I also called Belden to let them know of the outstanding service I received.

Everything arrived today. Ordered on Monday received on Wednesday. That was fast. I will try to build them on Saturday and post some pics of the construction.

Rob from josephelectronics called me today to verify that I received everything and to thank me for my order. He also mentioned that if you mention the hometheaterforum when you call, they have set special pricing for the members. Good Luck!

Not yet! I have made my 50 foot component cable. I did not take any pics due to the size of the cable. I will take pics of my subwoofer cable which I will build tomorrow. I have found out that it is wise to buy extra cable and connectors to practice. Once you get the hang it is like clock work. The cable stripper needed some minor adjustment to give good results. The crimp frame and die set work perfect with Belden cable. This was my concern at first but have no fear. I wish I would have done this along time ago. I hope to get pics done by Wed.

Keep building
Jason

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
wow could you just tell me how much the cable is, for what 500 feet damn thats huge and how much for the crimper and the teminals
because i just recently built my own from MCM they were cheap and work and are double sheilded no complaints from me so i am happy.
here the web page that i snaged them from

I have to go back and look at my invoice but I believe it was around .22 a foot. I have one component run of 50 feet which will require 150 feet of cable. My sub cable will be 35 feet. I also plan on making some for my friends. I did research for about a month before I made a purchase. I also checked every place I could for prices. josephelectronics.com was the cheapest by far. For the prices you will need to call George at josephelectronics.com and mention the forum for special pricing. Tell him you heard about it from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks