What's new

DIY cable question (1 Viewer)

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't worry about the boxes on your cables. They are usually gimmicks or some sort circuit to counteract a poor design. Just use good cables and heads.

Yi Yin

Grip
From what i gathered, those ferrites are used to drive relatively thin analog cables or long runs with high resistence. For normal length Video/Audio cables, you'll be fine without them.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Oh, ha! David, I just asked you at the end of your other thread what the bulges on your cables were for. Would they be the same type of thing?

Also, I like those zu cables a lot, and now I MUST know... does anyone know what the connectors used on these pil cables are???? Those look awesome! It looks like the ones on some of their other lines are branded WBT's, but I have never seen those ones from the pil's before.

David K.

Second Unit
owen,

i dont know what connectors thost are, maybe you should mail zu, but I believe they are a bit Hush Hush in naming names. I mailed them a few times with various questions on the various components used for cabling and each time their answeres were vague and no names were ever used.
its understandable though, since they are running a business.

if you want some awesome looking rca's check out this site.
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/diy_rca.html

by the way, in my DIY cable, the tubing serves no purpose with performance, but rather aesthetic benefits. manufacturers like better cables generally just heat shrink the base of the leads where the conductors split off. IMO looks cheap and ugly. the wire loom serves a purpose in cleaning it up and makes it look more professional. It also serves as a handy grip when handling the cables, though never should be used to pull out the plugs from the speaker.

The Zu cable is pretty much the same, I would assunme, i mailed them upon the subject and they told me their "ferrite look-a-like" serves no electrical purpos. Other then an aesthetic tubing. and from the looks of some pics on ebay from non zu sellers (since zu never shows any pics of their cables other then the single stock photo, which is cleaned up and exposes very little of the cables look), that ferrite look-a-like is standard wire loom, or possibly non conductive conduit, both of which can be purchased for mere pennies.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
David, thanks a lot. And you're right, those RCAs are HOT! A little pricey perhaps, but not compared to WBTs or Eichmanns and they're pretty close to the Vampire, Cardas, and some of the other respected plugs out there. You just might have sent me a winner!!

David K.

Second Unit
on another diy forum, i wont post link here due to respect, ive read that the eichmanns are very poorly contructed, and not worth the extra cash. Its more novelty then anything and far from audiophile quality. but the idea is good, ie "most direct signal transfer", but too bad tis built so cheaply.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I always thought they looked cheap, and just didn't really like the look (just my preference). I think it was the plastic. Don't mean to offend any who use them, they just weren't for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks