DIY Cable Dilemma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

DIY Cable Dilemma
    Im interested in making DIY cables. There are several cable manufacturers as well as several different cable specs per Manuf. for different uses.
    What I would like is one cable that will handle anything I throw at it as far as; Composite Video, DSS, CATV, Component Video, Audio Interconnects, Digital Audio, and Subwoofer.
    I don't care if it is overkill for some uses as long as it will handle all of them. I don't want to have to buy 3-4 rolls of cable to make my various cables.
    I wouldn't mind if it were a bit flexible as well. I don't really want stiff audio & digital interconnects. Is that asking too much? :b I guess it would have to be rated for in-wall use as well [​IMG]
    So, what do you suggest?

2. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

3. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

the only problem is that different uses require different types of cable...video requires 75 ohm impedence...audio requires a different impedence for optimal performance

sorry, ...one cable type will not do it...

at least if you want to achieve optimal perfomance...

russ

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I agree with Russkon.
    There is no single cable that will perform optimally in all applications.

A cable that is reasonably flexible and makes a very good digital coax, video (composite and component) and a reasonably analog audio cable would be the belden 1506a.
    A cable that will make a very good analog audio ic (stereo and subwoofer) and be a reasonable video cable is the belden 89259 cable.
    Remember that connectors also effect performance so Canare RCAP's for digital and video but a better RCA connector for analog applications (Cardas,WBT,Vampire etc..)

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Russ & Mark, So if I picked one cable that would be high a high quality cable for video applications it would actually hamper performance when used as an audio interconnect? I thought it might be overkill and was OK with that but I didn't think it would actually limit audio performance.
    As far as connectors go, stocking a few different connectors for different applications would be OK. I just don't want to have to get several rolls of cable. Although using different connectors would require separate crimp die and that is one of the costlier tools associated with this...:b
    Eric, thanks for the link. I will check it out.