DIY cabinet making.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrus_R, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

pain in da arse to do it from scratch. Not worth saving small amount of labor charge when people like Kyle around selling flat kits.

Oh well lesson learned. I'll get back to woodworking after I hit 65 hahaha.

Btw sub is almost finished. I just need to find good sets of hardwood dowels in 2 inch diameter for the legs.

2. Brian Knauss

Brian Knauss Stunt Coordinator

Depends on how intricate you're getting and what kind of tools you're using. If you're doing a simple 6-sided sub with a table saw, a good amount of bars clamps, and whatever other things, its simple. If you're make a transmission line cabinet and cutting MDF with a circular saw... that changes things [​IMG]

3. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

It's all about the tools. When I look at my first couple of projects (WAY ugly... lets not talk about it) and how long they took versus my latest projects... night and day. The difference??? A nice Craftsman table saw (bought used), a Porter Cable plunge router, a DeWalt biscuit joiner and last but certainly NOT least... a dozen bar clamps. What a difference!!!

I believe that buying tools and making speakers (and other stuff) is much like fishing. I mean... If you take all of the dollars that a person spends on boats and tackle and travel and what not for the purpose of fishing and divide the total pounds of fish caught into it, those are some pretty pricy fish. BUT... What is the "value" of the enjoyment? Same with building speakers. Sure it costs a lot to get fully equipped. Makes for some pretty expensive speakers. BUT... What is the "value" of hearing that snooty audiofool... oops I mean audiophile neighbor saying "DAMN... Those sound GOOD! You built those?"

Priceless I tell you... priceless...

4. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi guys,

This may interest you regarding the necessary tools to build enclosures. I wrote this about a year or so ago when someone on the bass list asked what the bare minimum tools were to get started in DIY.

http://forum.stryke.com/viewtopic.php?t=2

Although it is nice to have a lot of tools, and things get easier with the more tools you have, you can build nice enclosures with next to nothing for tools if you are careful and have patience.

John

5. Brian Knauss

Brian Knauss Stunt Coordinator

After building a couple boxes and cutting long pieces of MDF with a cheaper version Skil circ. saw (cuts great, but the guage for the center line is off! ugh!), a table saw might be one of the most handy things to have. Using a circular saw generally means more time sanding and routing to make even edges.

6. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I was able to construct the cabinet for my Adire Large Center Channel speaker using a table clamp, square and circular saw with a nice carbide blade. I found that if I made sure the clamp was square it made a perfect guide and I got nice straight square cuts. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a table saw but it's not mandatory. I've gotten pretty good at cutting circles with a jig saw. The only tool I lack is a router for rabbet cuts but my neighbor has a brand new Porter Cable that works great!