What's new

DIY Bedroom subwoofer! (1 Viewer)

Belder

Auditioning
Real Name
brendan
Hey all!

Im just in the planning stage for my upcoming project, which will be a 10" cube subwoofer run of moderate power with the aim of sound quality over output, although decent levels must be reached. I will be using this for 80% music (Trance, Electro etc) and 20% movies. I have decided at this early stage that I will be using the Mach 5 IXL 10" driver and an O audio 500W plate amp to power the thing (I know the driver wants more juice, but id rather not spend the money)

I have all the wood cut from another project that was for a 15" cube with an internal volume of 50l, and would love to use it for this project. Now... my problem is that i just cant seem to get the driver to work with me in a box of this size! I want to port the box, but with tuning of 28hz, which seems to be as low as makes sense with growing port length, I have a giant peak of almost 6db at 30hz...am I doing this correct, or am I just plain clueless?

I want the output of the ported box, and more so the frequency extension, but it just doesnt seem practical in this box.....So guys, what to do? Is it possible to use a filter curcuit to help this peak? Or am I better off sealing the box and hoping that room gain in my tiny bedroom fills in the 40-30hz area...

Very open for suggestions, id love to hear what you all think, feel free to throw in any sort of advice you think could help my little adventure into micro subs :)

Thanks in advance!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaker building is a trade-off and you have run into the same issues that all of us have. You want great output from a small box. Hoffman's Iron Law just took over.

Which IXL 10" driver do you have? They have one optimized for ported and one optimized for sealed.

What size port are you attempting to use? For this 10", I wouldn't go smaller than a single 3" or dual 2" with flares. Why 28hz? Have you thought about using a passive radiator?

Yes, you can use a circuit to boost the low end but that requires amp power and will eat up excursion fast. It will also limit your overall output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks