What's new

DIY backlight for RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Auditioning
OK, I've had the new 46807 for a couple of weeks. I am finishing up the base stand (I decided to build my own) and now it is time to put together a backlight. Anyone know of a site or thread that discusses how to build one with the proper color temp., etc.?
Thanks,
Conrad

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
Allow me to quote myself from hometheaterspot.com:
The bulb I'm talking about is manufactored by Phillips.
It's an F24T12/D with a Philips model number of 046677-31385-8. If you aren't up on your bulb-jargon (I certainly wasn't until I looked into this). An F24 is a 24-inch long flourescent bulb. The T12 has to do with the diameter and connectors. I'm not sure technically what T12 means, but it's basically a 1-inch tube with 2-prong connectors like you usually see on commercial flourescent lights.
It is a 6500K bulb, but it's stats are a little off of being ISF quality. It only has a CRI value (color ? index) of 70 and according to what I've read, you would want something higher. However, I looked at GE and sylvanias catalogs and this is the closest you can get in a mass-produced bulb.
It just happens to be readily available at the local home depot for only a couple of dollars.
Given that I'm not about to paint my walls grey (apartment... I would just have to repaint them white again later). I think this is close enough. :)

Conrad

Auditioning
Thanks for the information. I am off to Home Depot today to continue the search. I looked last week, but found nothing appropriate. Now that I have better data (serial numbers) I hope to be more successful. On other suggestion was to look for bulbs at an aquarium store. I'll probably check that out too.
Others have also recommended the ready-made product at www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm While I think that has some possibilities, I think I would be more likely to just buy the replacement bulb and then pick up a fixture at Home Depot.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
This is THE bulb you want. It is probably the closest to D65 that you will find. It is only slightly bluer than D65, but much better than anything else I've seen.
http://www.truesun.com/lumichrome1xx.htm
Not only will this work well for backlighting, it can serve as a nice reference for the proper color of white.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Timothy Jeandron

Auditioning
Are there any RFI problems with running a florescent light attached to the back of an RPTV, either with the TV or with the center channel speaker?
------------------

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
I may have been mistaken about which buld I purchased.... it may have been the F20T12/D talked about in the Keohi HDTV article. I definately found the buld in the same area that the individual in the article did.... it was just a cut open case and I walked out with the bulb in hand.... no cardboard wrapper or anything.
As far as RFI goes... my fixture is on the floor behind the set shinning upwards. And my TV sits on a stand at least a foot higher. I have never noticed any sort of problems with the light, but I do make a point of always callibratiing with the light ON and the room dark just like it would be watching movies. I would hate for ambient room lighting to cause me to callibrate things wrong. :)

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Guy, that lumichrome 1XX light is the one used by cinemaquest. There are places on web where you can buy them but they usually want you to order them in packs, with 4 being the minimum amount. They are rated at 6500K with a CRI of 98!(that's 98 out of a 100) You can also order the bulbs from cinemaquest, as well as a dimmer in case the light is brighter than your set is actually set to. I should be seeing mine show up next week.
------------------
The Bailey's Web Page and Home Theatre
The Bailey's DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks