DIY Atlas not working!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Will-Layfield, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

Ok I finally got my DIY atlas 15 box built and everything set up. To use a plate amp all I have to do is plug it into my subwoofer preout using a RCA to one of the line ins on the plate amp and also turn up the volume on the plate amp right? Oh yeah I plugged in the amp to a socket as well. My reciever is a Yamaha rx-v650. With my other power amps I hooked them up the exact same way and they work fine without having to turn anyhting on. The sub is sealed up tight , the wires from the amp to the speaker are hooked up and everything. anyone have any ideas?

2. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

Make sure you setup the reciever so that a subwoofer is enabled.

You can test the sub from any other source too. If you think you may have a bad amp/driver just run a single patch cable from the subwoofers input to one of a CD players outputs. Be sure to turn the gain all the way down on the sub before doing so and then turn it back up slowly. The CD player will be a full strength signal.

3. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

You also may want to make sure your hooked up to the "in" on the plate amp as some have a set of rca "out" right next to the inputs.

4. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

I figured it out. Everything was hooked up correctly. I pulled the plate amp out today and my brother noticed some transistor ect. I don't really know the purpose of the piece but it came unsoddered(spelling?) so as soon as I touch the metal to the once soldered metal on the computer board the sub started working. It is awesome. I only have one concern and that is that I did not seal up around the ports good enough. As of right now it sounds awesome for music and ok for movies. One more thing. Is there a certain point I should put the gain on the subamp to? I read between 9 and 11 o'clock.

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Put the sub gain on the receiver to about -5. This keeps "clipping" at the preamp level as low as possible.

Then, the idea is to calibrate the sub to reference levels plus seasoning to taste. This is where the SPL meter comes in.

If you have VE on DVD, you'd play the sub level test tone at 0db on the AVR, and turn up the plate amp volume till the meter reads around 75db.