DIY amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Slade, Dec 3, 2001.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Nov 20, 2001
    I want to venture into the DIY world and would like to build an amp. I realize most of the conversation revolves around subs, but I live in an apartment and have no access to a wood working shop. I would like however to start planning the mother of all subs. In the next two years I will be in a house and would like to start a sub as soon as I move in. Maybe build an SVS Ultra killer or something. But for now I would like to build an amp just for fun really. Could you pleas point me towards some kits or plans. Oh yeah, I'm a solid state guy.

2. Check out
    There is a whole lot of info there from design to schematics to images of peoples embarkment on those amps.
    If you decide to try a passlabs amp, go to
    There are a fare number of people there that have built these.
  3. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

Aug 1, 2000
    Pass amps are great! As with any amp, particularly class-A amps since they require more power (hence more expensive parts), buy surplus! [​IMG] is another site with lots of great projects [​IMG]
    good luck!
  4. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Mar 23, 2001
    There is also a kind of cool new amp kit available over at You can read about it at the below link. It will be capable of pretty high power and might be good for subs.
  5. GaryM

GaryM Agent

Jul 19, 2000
    The Low-TIM version is 120 watts RMS at 8-ohms, and will go to 240 watts RMS at 4 ohms if you build a stout power supply.
    The SuperAmp is here:
    This one will do 300 Watts RMS at 8 ohms and 600 watts RMS at 4 ohms.
    Professor Leach's designs have been built in the hundreds if not thousands over the years, and these designs may be the best documented on the web. They are stable even with electrostatic speakers (capacitive loads), and are among the best sounding amps in the world.
    One word of warning - DO NOT SKIMP on power supply capacity or heatsink size, especially if you want to run at 4 ohms or experiment with a higher bias operating point for the amp. (If you attempt to bias all the way to Class A operation, you'll be amazed at the heat being dissipated.)