What's new

DIY Amp Trigger? (1 Viewer)

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard of a DIY amp trigger for an older amp that has no 12V trigger. My pre-pro has a 12V trigger output, but the amp does not.

I'm thinking some sort of FET circuit spliced into the power cord.

I'm not quite up to the point of diminishing returns whereby my power cord is the weakest link in my sound chain, so I don't mind fiddling with it.

Tried doing a search but came up empty.

Thanks for any help or ideas.
Guy

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen posts on creating a trigger using wallwart and switched outlet, but not on the amp end. No EE, but would expect you need a relay over the FET. One with a 12V energizer coil, probably needs low current draw, that has a Normaly Open AC contacts that can handle your max poweramp draw. There is probably a quick and dirty RC network that can be employed on the 12V side, to delay amp turn-on. I guess I am saying it can be done, but you will need a little more help from someone with a little more EE background, then myself. :frowning:

JohnS

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I have heard of some power strips which have a 12V trigger input which can be used for switching the outlets on/off.
I believe Panamax has some units like that. Would probably be the simplest solution overall, and you get the bonus of a nice surge suppressor ontop of it.

-- Dave

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I did what david talks about. I purchased a Niles Power Conditioner which has 2 12V trigger inputs which powers on/off devices connected to it. Works great!

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Guy,
If you want to go the DIY route, you'll either need a relay or a Triac --or some pre-packaged solid-state power contactor (SSPC). FET or bipolar transistors won't do it (unless you're into creating a very complex circuit!). The gate trigger on a triac does require a little circuitry, so I'd opt for the relay. Check Newark, Digi-key, Parts Express, etc. The Omron "G5Q series" relay, for example, switches 10A, only requires 33mA of coil current, and costs about $2.50.

Good luck.

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,

The switched power outlet is more to my liking. I'm not dead set on DIY, I just didn't know switched power conditioners existed!

Damn....the more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know.

Off to shop for these things.
thanks again,
guy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks