DIY advice-driver, MDF,amp,legs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I am on a limited budget and was told DIY was best. I have been reading about it on Brian's website and other websites. I can build a sub now. I need to know what parts would be good to use on my budget, which is 200 max.
    Cabinet:
    Home Depot sells MDF for 25. I am going to build a sealed enclosure. That leaves the driver and amp.
    Amp:
    Is a plate amp the best/cheapest way to go? Can I get an external amp for cheaper? I do need a amp though. Then the driver.
    Driver:
    Im still deciding to go with a 10 or 12, no bigger and no less.
    So what I need is a amp and driver for around 150. My room is 12 by 10.6 and I listen 80% to music. What are the best parts for the money I can get? Is it safe to buy these used? Anybody selling?

2. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

See my post in your other thread (BTW: Starting multiple threads covering the same material is not generally a good idea - they just take up more space) regarding the amplification.

If you DO need to buy amplification, I'd suggest that you look used on your budget. If you'll be sending the sub it's signal via the sub-out on a receiver, then you can get away with an old stereo amp (75W or more per channel) - amps are normally pretty reliable, and old ones can be got pretty cheap at pawn shops/garage sales etc. Might pay to keep a look out. Also, check out (And put a wanted post on) the Hardware For Sale/Trade forum. There are often folks selling plate amps on there, and I'd trust these guys before people on ebay.

I strongly suggest that if you can stretch to $125 for the driver alone, then you'll get a Shiva or Titanic or something that will be excellent. If it turns out that you can't stretch that far, then have a look on Parts Express etc. for 10" and 12" DVC drivers.

3. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

Here's a guy selling an unused Adire 250 watt plate amp for $100+shipping. You can probably get it for $100 shipped if he hasn't sold it yet:
    http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/dis...gi?read=223664
    And here you can get a decent 10" woofer for $29+shipping:
    http://www.subwoofers.cc/remain.asp
    You're not going to be able to get really top notch performance with that budget, so you need to pick your battles. Personally, I would be tempted to go a little cheap on the woofer like this, and do the amp and cabinet as "right" as possible. You can easily come back later and plug in a better 10" woofer. That would be maybe a $100 (or so) upgrade and take only a few minutes to implement.
    By contrast, if you overspend on the woofer and go cheap on the amp, chances are you won't come back later and replace the amp. That's the one problem I see with Jonathan's strategy. You're not going to realize the performance advantages of a better woofer using a 75W stereo amp. You can easily replace it with a different external amp later, but it's probably going to cost more than 100 bucks to get a decent used one, so you'll be less likely to do it. Also, if you use an underpowered amp, the chances of the thing clipping and ruining the woofer go up considerably.

4. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I am sorry about the two threads. Thanks for the help.