What's new

DIY A/V Cables -- Updated Web Site (1 Viewer)

Chris White

Second Unit

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Great work again Chris. This is a great web site for people who wants to start building DIY cables.
Would you be able to recommend some Belden cables such as the 1694A so others may benefit from varieties? I love 1694A because of cost and performance.
I also has opinion on tools. I understood tools are critical part of your DIY web site but I believe that one may get away with using less expensive tools if cares are taken. I don't think a lot of our friends here would spend over $150 on tools if they only want 2-3 $10 cables. I think that you should strongly recommend the use of Canare tools but leave others the options to use alternative. I'm only saying this to get more people into building DIY cables instead benefiting Mr. Monster with big $$$ marketing.
Again, keep up the good work. :) :)
------------------
MikeyTC

Eric S

Agent
Chris, Thanks for the update - I appreciate your effort! I do have a question for you (or someone else) though: You list Have, Inc. as the supplier for the braid, but then indicate that they have a $75 minimum. Has anyone found another source for this type of a braid? I don't know that I need/want $75 of it right now...
thanks!

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
That's a valid point mike but I think the person who only needs 2 or 3 $10 cables would be ok buying them. The method Chris describes is for those of us who are interested in making wires that would cost alot more. So in that respect, it pays to spend $150 on the tools one time instead of $80 on a set of component cables, $75 for a digital coax, etc, etc. For those applications, the tools pay for themselves right away.
I avoided the Canare tools for awhile. Then, the urge to try new wires struck me and I realized I'd spent much more than that on all the Monster stuff I bought.
So, if you're looking for 2-3 $10 cables, don't buy the tools. If you're considering buying say, a Monster component video run, digital coax and interconnects. This method is definitely worth it. Especially when you throw in the fact that you can make cable exactly the length you need.
------------------

I have looked at this site and it is a great source of info for a beginner like myself. I was wondering though...could someone clarify for me which connectors (RCA/F-type/BNC) and which die set(s) I need for RG-6 Quad-shield? The site references to the actual Canare cables, and I already have RG-6 QS run and I am not sure exactly which Canare cable this would correspond to...
Thanks!
- Wade

Chris White

Second Unit
Mike:
I don't use Belden coax for two reasons. One - I don't want to buy two sets of tools. These cables are similar, but still take different tools. Two - it's difficult to find Belden coax in reasonable quantities.
I understand your point about the cost of the tools. As David explained, the system I'm explaining is not for someone who only needs $10-20 in cables. The Canare system is for someone needing a couple hundred dollars worth.
Eric:
Zacks Electronics probably doesn't have a $75 minimum. The problem with Zacks is that they never seem to have anything in stock. If someone else has another source for techflex, I'd be happy to add it to my page.
Wade:
The Canare tools and connectors are meant for Canare coax. Canare does not make a quad-shield cable so I'm afraid none of this information applies.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
David,
I think the point that I was trying to make is that you could make one, two or ten $75+ equalivant cables without buying all the suggested tools but it may take more time. I had make 50+ cables without the high cost tools and they come out fine. The tools are time safer but may not be for everyone. For those who only wants to experiment, build a few cables or not spending a lot of money, it does not make sense to invest so much into the tooling. It actually discourage some novices from getting into DIY cable and not finding the benefits of it like you and me. I have refer (and still am) many novices to Chris' site and some of them shy away because of the tooling cost. I only trying to get more people into building their DIY cables.
Thanks for listening.
------------------
MikeyTC

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Chris,
I was just curious to know if you clean the contact points before crimping, as some audiophiles might use Audioquest cleanser or similar on binding posts. For example the center conductor before sliding on the crimp pin, the crimp pin before sliding on the body, etc. Without being too anal, it does make sense that the oils from your fingers or the oxidation of the copper might effect the mechanical contact.
------------------
My DVD Library

Chris White

Second Unit
I don't clean the center conductor because I've never touched it (hence no oils from my fingers) and it's never been exposed to oxygen since it was just stripped.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

RonM

Grip
The site was a great help to me...I made several audio and a couple of video runs using the Canare LV-77S. As Chris points out it is very flexible and can be used for both audio and video. Great to be able to make custom lengths and I have the tools for future needs.
I also built one component video cable using the Canary V3-5CFB cable. If anyone is interested I didn't need the 50' minimum so I have extra cable I could sell, send me an e-mail.

RonM

Grip
I probably have 35-40 feet left but I'll want to keep some myself....maybe 8-12 feet.

Dallas D

Auditioning
This site http://www.pacrad.com/index.shtml carries all the
Canare products that Chris White references on his DIY page.
Their cable prices are a little higher than the vendors
Chris lists, but you are not locked into buying a minimum
order of 50' or more. They also carry cable management
products including something very similar to Techflex.

Robert Augustyn

Auditioning
Mike,
Can you give us more information on less expensive tolls you are reffering to in your post.
Thank you.
------------------
robert

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
I have used 1694A from Belden (~$.30/ft) and Canare RCAP-C53 (~$3.00) with great success. Manufacturing process is similar to The Max Rochlin Memorial Cable, the web site is:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/etmcable.htm)
redface.gif
) :) :)
------------------
MikeyTC

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
You said you have used the 1694A before. I'll be using this for interconnects and I'm thinking of speaker cable also (using the cross linking of one core to the other sheath).
With your experience of 1694a, would this be feasible? I'm not really concerned with cost because it is dirt cheap compared to buying monster or anything else :)
Thanks,
Neil

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,
That is going to be my next 1694A cable project for my front three speakers. If you get to this first, let me know how it turn out. I'm also thinking of doubling up the 1694A for one speaker run. Two core wires with two shields and vise versa. I think it will work but how well is the question.
:) :)
------------------
MikeyTC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks