DIY 7.1 Speaker System with some $$ to spend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted White, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Ted White

Ted White Agent

This is obviously THE site for DIY theater speakers. Just curious if there is concensus on what the best overall package looks like and where the recipe might be.

The plan is for three identical fronts, and a sub. Sides and rears could be slightly different from the mains.

Quality, vs. low cost is the goal. I'm not much of a researcher, but I have a big shop and access to electrical equipment.

Any winning recipes?

Ted

2. If you can give us the budget for all the 7.1 componets, we can get you started (drivers/XO/misc/subamp)

How big of a room?

3. Ted White

Ted White Agent

I'd like to stay under $350 in drivers / x-overs per speaker. I have MDF coming out the wazoo so that's covered.

Ted

4. Ted White

Ted White Agent

I realize there are many system recipes for sale, but I recall from a few years ago there were sites dedicated to winning designs.

Any systems that anyone is actually using, loves raves and tells everyone else tu build? Maybe my budget's too low. How about $500 per speaker for drivers and x-overs?

Ted

5. what makes you think that what I linked above isn't a winning design?

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Another source that gets good reviews:
    http://www.gr-research.com
    Seems like you're looking for the DIY equivalent of Stereophile's annual component raking. I don't know of such a one-stop source for DIY designs.