What's new

DIY 6.1 passively (1 Viewer)

Henri_Ko

Auditioning
I'm wondering if anyone has tried to do a 6.1 installation with passive components. I've just bought my amp recently, a sony with no line level outs. And if I want to get the center channel with any active components I've first got to go to line level from speaker level, then decode and then ampligy again... at which point I might as well buy a new system with 6.1 built in!

Has anyone used Dynaco's QD-2 or anything similar? I realize I won't get any steering, etc benefits of DPL but is it better than nothing at all?

thanks

John Devine

Auditioning
I was about to post a similar request for info.

We have a Kenwood without preouts and a JVC prologic.

I'm going to forced to use a speaker-to-line converter for DYI 6.1.

Curious if anyone has tried this configuration, what your results sound like?

Thanks

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I asked almost the same question rcently and I got a reply that no, I cannot do it without pre-outs and DD was good enough. I was thankful for that only reply but I am still curious if the line to pre out approach would work.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
A car audio line converter will not handle the 50-100w that the home DD/DTS reciever will put out. So if you try a car audio converter you will get some bad noise! What I would sugest is take your reciever into a repair shop and have them install preamp outputs for the rear channels. I had this done to a Pioneer Prologic reciever a few years ago and it worked great.

Wes

Henri_Ko

Auditioning
Wes,
I considered this as an option, but then I figure if I add up all the costs, in the end I might as well just buy a new receiver, since my Sony system isn't one of the top of the line systems anyway.
I was also thinking of just doing it by wiring the speakers like its shown on Chris Kantack's web page
http://home.earthlink.net/~kantack/surround2.htm
Just wondering if the passive methods give any improvement at all.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Henri, I looked at that site and its not talking about a DIY 6.1 but a DIY Doldy Surround which is to break it down 2.0 with a matrix mono surround! This will not work to create a DIY 6.1!

I bought a Pioneer VSXd709s for $249. that has all channel preouts and works great with a DPL reciever for DD EX and DTS ES.

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I bought my 709 at Costco! It was an open box deal but a couple weeks later they got in a full shipment and were selling for $269. I have seen the 509 for $199 but I do not think it has the preouts or the better amps. Now I have not seen the 709 there latley but I would think its out there somewhere for around the same price!

Wes

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
wouldn't that passive circuit work? it's designed to take 2 channels of sound and apply pro logic decoding? no? or is this just a matrix decode, but not necessarily pro logic?

regardless, if it is pro logic, then it will be doing the exact same as using preouts to a prologic receiver....

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Well looking closer at the set up #2 (I think it was) they are making a front center channel. I would be real hesitant to try this on a receiver that I liked. He even states that some receivers will not handle it. I am guessing that to mean it will short it out and destroy the amps.

Try it if you wish and let us know how it works, I really hate people who are negitive about things they have never even tried, I just realised I was doing this. There are several on this site that has asked about creating 6.1 without preamps!

Wes

Henri_Ko

Auditioning
Wes,

I too am a little reticent in trying this out on my only amp. That's why I was thinking that the Dynaco would be the ticket since I would not be shorting my amp.

As far as the noise due to the speaker-level to line-level converters I was thinking maybe turning down the volume on the rears so the converters don't clip, then the extra DPL receiver would just need to be turned up?

Mike_A,

From the description of the dynaco it sounds like a passive way of achieving as close to DPL as you can. They filter the rears at 7 KHZ, like DPL. You just don't get the delay to the rears and the active steering logic. As far as I understand DPL there is very little extra processing done to the center channel, only enough to steer the signals correctly. So a passive system should do pretty well I think.

I might just have to try it out myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.