DIY 6.1 passively

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henri_Ko, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Henri_Ko

Henri_Ko Auditioning

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to do a 6.1 installation with passive components. I've just bought my amp recently, a sony with no line level outs. And if I want to get the center channel with any active components I've first got to go to line level from speaker level, then decode and then ampligy again... at which point I might as well buy a new system with 6.1 built in!

Has anyone used Dynaco's QD-2 or anything similar? I realize I won't get any steering, etc benefits of DPL but is it better than nothing at all?

thanks

2. John Devine

John Devine Auditioning

I was about to post a similar request for info.

We have a Kenwood without preouts and a JVC prologic.

I'm going to forced to use a speaker-to-line converter for DYI 6.1.

Curious if anyone has tried this configuration, what your results sound like?

Thanks

3. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I asked almost the same question rcently and I got a reply that no, I cannot do it without pre-outs and DD was good enough. I was thankful for that only reply but I am still curious if the line to pre out approach would work.

4. John Devine

John Devine Auditioning

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    A car audio line converter will not handle the 50-100w that the home DD/DTS reciever will put out. So if you try a car audio converter you will get some bad noise! What I would sugest is take your reciever into a repair shop and have them install preamp outputs for the rear channels. I had this done to a Pioneer Prologic reciever a few years ago and it worked great.

Wes

6. Henri_Ko

Henri_Ko Auditioning

Wes,
    I considered this as an option, but then I figure if I add up all the costs, in the end I might as well just buy a new receiver, since my Sony system isn't one of the top of the line systems anyway.
    I was also thinking of just doing it by wiring the speakers like its shown on Chris Kantack's web page
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kantack/surround2.htm
    Just wondering if the passive methods give any improvement at all.

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Henri, I looked at that site and its not talking about a DIY 6.1 but a DIY Doldy Surround which is to break it down 2.0 with a matrix mono surround! This will not work to create a DIY 6.1!

I bought a Pioneer VSXd709s for $249. that has all channel preouts and works great with a DPL reciever for DD EX and DTS ES.

Wes

8. John Devine

John Devine Auditioning

Wes, can you say where?

Most of that model I've seen are $350.00

Thanks for the help.

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I bought my 709 at Costco! It was an open box deal but a couple weeks later they got in a full shipment and were selling for $269. I have seen the 509 for $199 but I do not think it has the preouts or the better amps. Now I have not seen the 709 there latley but I would think its out there somewhere for around the same price!

Wes

10. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

wouldn't that passive circuit work? it's designed to take 2 channels of sound and apply pro logic decoding? no? or is this just a matrix decode, but not necessarily pro logic?

regardless, if it is pro logic, then it will be doing the exact same as using preouts to a prologic receiver....

11. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Well looking closer at the set up #2 (I think it was) they are making a front center channel. I would be real hesitant to try this on a receiver that I liked. He even states that some receivers will not handle it. I am guessing that to mean it will short it out and destroy the amps.

Try it if you wish and let us know how it works, I really hate people who are negitive about things they have never even tried, I just realised I was doing this. There are several on this site that has asked about creating 6.1 without preamps!

Wes

12. Henri_Ko

Henri_Ko Auditioning

Wes,

I too am a little reticent in trying this out on my only amp. That's why I was thinking that the Dynaco would be the ticket since I would not be shorting my amp.

As far as the noise due to the speaker-level to line-level converters I was thinking maybe turning down the volume on the rears so the converters don't clip, then the extra DPL receiver would just need to be turned up?

Mike_A,

From the description of the dynaco it sounds like a passive way of achieving as close to DPL as you can. They filter the rears at 7 KHZ, like DPL. You just don't get the delay to the rears and the active steering logic. As far as I understand DPL there is very little extra processing done to the center channel, only enough to steer the signals correctly. So a passive system should do pretty well I think.

I might just have to try it out myself.