What's new

DIY 2003 DC regional (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I just returned from the DIY2003 DC regional, hosted by Peter Smith at his home in Centerville. It was a new experience for a kid like me and it was really wonderful to meet local DIY audio people. I think about 30 people attended, and there were maybe 15 pairs of speakers. We listened to some kit speakers including Dayton Budget kits, my Kit281s, GR A/V-2s and Diluceos, and maybe something else I'm not thinking of. A few of the other speakers that in my opinion stood out were Pete Mazz's line array RD50/Dayton dipoles, Peter Smith's TMM towers, and a pair of bookshelves using SS 9300 and a Morel woofer (sorry, I already forgot who brought them!) Everything sounded pretty good but there were varying opinions on everything.

Here are a few pictures. There was someone who took pictures of everything, so maybe there will be a nice report of the event.

Peter's basement where we listened to most of the speakers.

The upstairs room, with Pete's dipole line speakers. Here Matthew Olson did an amplifier comparison between a "Death of Zen" Class A amp and a big Class AB amp which is incidentally the same design I use. I was able to pick out my amp pretty quick. :)

This is a picture of the basement room when we were auditioning and talking about speakers.

I'm not qualified to really judge all these designs, but I'm curious what anyone else who went (or not) might have to say! And thanks again to Peter for hosting this thing.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I'll second the thanks to PJay (Peter Smith)! Great job.

The more I hear well designed speakers, the more I realize how easy it would be to live with any of them. They all sounded good.

IMO, all the sealed speakers (3?) stood out. Of course the room had something to do with it. All the ported speakers sounded boomy to me. It's amazing how well some of the small 2 ways filled the room. It seems everything I build just gets bigger! :)

Anyway, it was great to meet everyone. I'm still amazed nothing got smoked (speakers that is) with all the cable swapping/setup changes.

Pete

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Ah man...I live next to Centerville in Springfield. I've been wanting to hear some KIT281's and the GR AV series. Oh well:frowning:.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks