What's new

DIY 2 front speakers... questions... (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

It's being more than a year now since my DIY tempest sub. Now that I am itching to build the 2 front speakers. But first I have a few questions. I'm considering the A/V-3 from GR-Research. The pricing there is $329 for the kit and $64 for the sonicap upgrade. Other than that all I have to do is build the cabinets right? Do I need anything else like a solder or stuffs like that? I'm trying to budget myself to not go over $500 (including the shipping and finish in rosewood veneer). Is it possible for $500? The reason I'm considering the a/v-3 kit is becausing they do have a match center + surrounds that I will eventually build them. And also what will the a/v-3 compare to those comercial fronts (like paradigm studio 40 or 60, B&W 600 series)?

Any other kit should I consider for $500 just for the 2 fronts right now (need to help match center/surrounds for later projects)? I'll eventually build the center and surounds. If this helps, my room size is about 14x16x8. I mostly watch dvd movies. I would said about 70/30 ht/music.

Thanks for the help.

Al,

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
You will need a soldering iron to assemble the crossovers. Unless you are going to pay to have Danny at GR assemble them for you. I think that would put you over the budget. A corded soldering iron is only 10-20.00 depending on where you get it.
So I would think you could do it for 500.00 or less. The shipping shouldn't be too bad. Go to GR's site then link over to the audiocircle forum you can find a post asking about reviews for the AV-3's, in there is a link to a review that may give you the info you are looking for as far as performance.
I remember reading somewhere that Danny is having the xbl^2 technology incorporated into his M-130 drivers. You may want to give Danny a call and see how long it will be for them. As they may offer better performance as well.

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
I built the av3 H/T package afew months ago, and you will not be disappointed. The kit comes with the solder also. all you need is to build the box and solder the crossover together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks