DIY 120 V power filter

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Travis_G, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Travis_G

Travis_G Agent

I am getting a popping noise in my sound system and the guy at the Pro Audio store thinks that electrical noise is the problem. He also wanted to sell me a $100 power filter.

I was wondering if anyone has tried builing thier own simple filter using inductors and capacitors in series with my mixer, dvd player, and power amplifier. I though maybe if I filtered enough it would leave only the 60 Hz sine wave.

Has anyone here done this? Would it even work?

Travis

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Travis, before you go the filter route (either retail or DIY) can you identify what might be causing the popping in the first place?

What else is on the electrical circuit your sound system is plugged into?

When does the pop occur- when you turn equipment on/off? If so there is the option to leave certain bits of your gear on (in my case with a BFD I leave it on 24/7 as it will create a large 'pop/thump' in the Sub unless it is turned on before the sub), or use delayed power on's (there are some power strips that can do this).

Light switches are notorious and can be replaced for a few dollars, motors (fridges for example) starting in other places can be more difficult.

I would not personally rely on any kind of filtered power box to eliminate popping caused by something on the AC line. You will have much more success finding the cause of the problem and starting there. It will probably be a cheaper fix as well.

3. Travis_G

Travis_G Agent

Paul,

Thank you for your response. I am not sure what is causing the noise. I think the only thing on the circuit besides the HT possibly the furnace. I could turn it off and see if that solves the problem.

I think the primary problem is that the gain on my reciever is turned up so high that noise that would normally not be audible becomes clearly noticeable. I am using a mixer to mix down the 5.1 outputs from my DVD player (decoder is in the DVD) to 4.0. This makes it necassary to turn the volume up fairly high to avoid overloading the inputs on the subwoofer amplifier.