What's new

DIY 12" Sub Driver (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I documented this pretty good. You can watch it as a slide show and read the comments at the bottom of each slide. As a summary, I purchased a magnet and frame from a car audio site. I picked up the soft parts (cone, spider, voice coil, etc) from an Ebay seller. Since I didn't want to use the magnet from the blown sub, I got a surplus one from TC Sounds. It was originally for an Elemental Designs E12A.22 but eD switched suppliers and TC Sounds sold it as surplus. It's commonly called a TC9 motor and used by many companies on dozens a subs.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/rlj5242/Custom%20Sub%201/?albumview=slideshow

I'm working on building 3 more subs that are similar to this one but I'll be using different frames and soft parts. The voice coil will be LMS (linear motor system). The voice coil uses variable windings to keep the BL (magnetic force) constant through the stroke of the cone.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This one isn't really DIY because I hired David at FixMySpeaker.com to provide a few items and assemble this one to my specs. I provided a Konaki magnet (65 pounds and extremely powerful), the frame (extremely hard to get) and the cone. The spiders and voice coil were chosen to meet my Theile/Small parameter request of having a very low Qts so that it would work well in a small enclosure.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/rlj5242/Konaki%20Sub/?albumview=slideshow

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks