What's new

Dixie Carter Dead At Age 70 (1 Viewer)

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
This death shocks me, for some reason:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Dixie_Carter_Passes_Away_at_70_20100410

She was good on Designing Women as Julia. As well as her many, many other roles. She'll be missed.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
As an obsessive fan of DW, I'm quite heartsick to hear of Dixie's passing. I had not heard of her being sick so I'm assuming this was sudden.

Julia Sugarbaker was and is one of the greatest characters in the history of television which few people ever really seem to acknowledge. It was played to complete, over the top perfection by Ms. Carter. No one else could have brought to that role what she did. She was one of a kind. She'd already proven that on countless other show before that, especially Filthy Rich. She continued to give great performances in many shows after DW in particular Family Law where she was by far the best thing in that show.

I'm anxious to hear what her past co-stars from DW & Desparate Housewives, etc have to say about her. Of them, I feel particularly sorry for Delta Burke. After years of her own personal problems I fear what losing Dixie might do to her.

If there's any small comfort it's knowing that all the former DW co-stars eventually reconciled and began appearing on each other's TV shows as well as the wonderful DW reunion special on Lifetime.

Rest In Peace, Dixie. You are missed.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I can add a personal reminiscence; I was performing in little theatre about 20 years ago and doing only my second show. Dixie's stepson was in it. And so she and Hal Holbrook came to see the show and wound up sitting behind my parents, and spent most of intermission chatting with them. My mother was convinced I was in the big time, sitting there in the audience surrounded by celebrities lol; (even though I'm sure I stunk in that show). I have to credit Dixie Carter with being so kind to my star-struck mother...

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It seems as though a lot of people are reacting to Dixie's passing. There's been a huge outpouring on many entertainment sites from columnists and especially fans. The statement that has touched me the most so far was from DW co-star Annie Potts:

"Dixie Carter was a goddess," Potts said in a statement to E! News. "Beautiful and brainy, smart and funny, prim and sexy, wickedly talented and divinely sweet. The kind of wife and mother that every mother hopes their daughter will become and the kind of friend that is absolutely irreplaceable. She loved fiercely and was adored in return. To have known her a little was a delight to all. To have known her well, a treasure beyond reckoning. And now, a loss beyond measure."
That's one of the best tributes I've ever heard. We should all live so long and so well to be that beloved by friends, family and strangers alike.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Dixie Carter always seemed to me like she was an all-around class act, and it is only fair that she is remembered so fondly. She will be greatly missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks