What's new

DivX technology coming to the Xbox (1 Viewer)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
This sucks! No way am I going to start paying a monthly fee through my telephone to play an Xbox game! Goddamn M$ and their larcenous ways! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Oh...the OTHER DivX. Sorry. :)

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
Read the link before you freak out. it sounds like they are just using the compression tech, for making nice looking cinematics. It doesnt seem like it is for making people pay month by month.

James T

Screenwriter
Read the link before you freak out
They're referring to Circuit City's failed attempt at rent-a-dvd. You buy a divx movie(which requires a divx player) to watch a movie for about 48 hours after it's inserted in your player. If you want to continue to watch the movie later, you pay up, otherwise it's garbage

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
I remember the crappy divx players. I was just pointing out that this wasn't a pay-for-play model for those who like to jump into threads without reading the links. :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Trevor- they were just being sarcastic, note the smileys.

This makes NO sense as MS has their own high compression codec that works good for hi-def material, WM9. Maybe Microsoft/3rd party developers prefer the quality of DivX encoding??

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MS isn't making the SDK that includes DivX support. Factor 5 is. They make compression technology, which is why they're able to fit amazing looking games (like Rogue Leader) onto single discs. I read somewhere else in this forum that Factor 5 used only 200 MB of space for all of Rogue Leader.

http://www.factor5.com/history.shtml
Go there and read the first message there. Apparently, they made an SDK for the GameCube with DivX support last October and are planning to bring the technology to all consoles.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
To find out more about that earlier incarnation of DivX, check out the old Divx Lover web site. Note: plant tongue firmly in cheek before proceeding... great fun awaits those who read through this site!

Gary

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Was this used on the Enter the Matrix? I remember reading here that the PC version was going to be 6 cd's and now is 4 cd's cause they switched codecs.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks